Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I started my university course in 2011. In my second year at university I had to take a leave of absence on medical grounds starting from approx April 2013, due to return in Feb 2014, but then had to extend my leave until this September so I'll in a sense be restarting my second year at university (minus 20 credits that I've already completed and have logged on the system - I say "in a sense" because I'm not officially retaking anything, I'm just completing all of the credits and work that I didn't get to finish last time).

I was wondering whether or not I will need to apply/reapply for Student Finance this summer to cover the academic year 2014-15? I can't remember whether or not you need to reapply/fill out a form/update your application supporters' information for each new year of your degree, and I've only just updated the phone number on my account so I haven't received any text message reminders or information from SFE so I don't actually know what I need to do to prepare for my return in September 2014 and ensure that I will have all loans and grants in place to cover my costs at university.

If the answer is YES, I will need to fill out another form, I can say that I already had a look at the online form and there are two other issues I want raise:

1) What dates should I fill out for my course length? My course began in 2011 but will now be ending in 2017 instead of 2015 due to a (just over) 1 year absence, so should I just put 2011-2017 and assume that SFE and my university will know why I've put those dates? (i.e. that over one year I've been on leave and claimed nothing and that it's in my best medical interests to rejoin university to complete my second year from September as opposed to February, ergo will need to claim loan + grant for this coming academic year)

2) Why is the form suggesting that my tuition fees are £9000pa? This is incorrect as my year of registration is 2011 and I am a continuing student, so my fees should be £3645pa. Do I simply input this manually (as you have the option to do so) and assume SFE and my university will know why I've said my fees are £3645pa, or is the fact it's suggesting £9000pa on the form a sign that an error has been made somewhere (on either the university or SFE's part) which I will need to chase up? If so, who will I need to chase this up with?

It doesn't help that the form and website have completely changed since I last logged on almost two years ago so I'm a bit confused by the form's new format.

Sorry that I've written a lot, I'm just trying to make sure I've described my situation as much as possible so that nothing gets missed or overlooked. I've found the information and support for students returning from a leave of absence (especially for those who began their course in 2011/before the tuition fees went up) to be massively lacking.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    bump... Would really appreciate some advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.