Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically it only took me till the 8th of July to realize that i don't want Greenwich uni as my insurance but instead Kingston uni.

I'll admit i probably didn't research properly but i thought Greenwich would be a good uni because it had good academic reviews. However I've only realized now that the area around the medway campus is depressingly bad. So i'm sat here depressed because the area is absolute trash (the uni is good though).

However Kingston seems to be a nice uni with an alright surrounding.

Yes i know this is my fault for not researching but i literally feel like my life is going down the drain if i end up at Greenwich university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goobypls)
    Basically it only took me till the 8th of June to realize that i don't want Greenwich uni as my insurance but instead Kingston uni.

I'll admit i probably didn't research properly but i thought Greenwich would be a good uni because it had good academic reviews. However I've only realized now that the area around the medway campus is depressingly bad. So i'm sat here depressed because the area is absolute trash (the uni is good though).

However Kingston seems to be a nice uni with an alright surrounding.

Yes i know this is my fault for not researching but i literally feel like my life is going down the drain if i end up at Greenwich university.
    You can call Kingston and ask if there's still a pace for you, but don't hold your breath. (I'm assuming you had an offer in the first pace which you declined.)

ReputationRep:
    But i'm already committed to Greenwich.

Edit i meant 8th of July not 8th of June

Yeah they offered me a place which i had stupidly declined.

ReputationRep:
    But i'm already committed to Greenwich.

Edit i meant 8th of July not 8th of June

Yeah they offered me a place which i had stupidly declined.
    You will have to ask Greenwich to release you (or reject you, the words are important but I can't remember which is which.) There's very little hope of this working out this year at this late stage. Better take a gap year and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    time to cry myself to bed

ReputationRep:
    time to cry myself to bed
    Go and have another look before you do that. You were happy enough originally and I doubt all Greenwich students live lives of regret and misery.

ReputationRep:
    Basically means i am counting 100% on my firm offer for Reading University:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Basically means i am counting 100% on my firm offer for Reading University:cool:
    If you don't want to go to Greenwich under any circumstances, get yourself freed from them now so that if you miss your firm offer you will be entered straight into clearing. It'll save time and free up the place at Greenwich for someone who does want it.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Have you signed up to this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ment-this-year ?

ReputationRep:
    If i were to go into clearing what are the chances that i would get Kingston uni, because i don't want to take the risk and end up somewhere completely different.

ReputationRep:
    If i were to go into clearing what are the chances that i would get Kingston uni, because i don't want to take the risk and end up somewhere completely different.
    If they have rejected you, and that would be the reason you were in clearing of course, then none whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Well i was the one who rejected them:mad:.

So i have a chance

ReputationRep:
    Well i was the one who rejected them:mad:.

So i have a chance
    Sorry, my bad, I got Kingston and Reading mixed up. They may take you. Nobody can tell, not even them, if they will be in clearing until results are out, so nobody knows.

ReputationRep:
    I just read about clearing and it says on results day i can change my firm/insurance offer. So if i don't get the grades for reading but the grades for Greenwich i can ring up Greenwich and Kingston and see if i can change my option.

The grade Boundaries for Greenwich and Kingston are basically the same.

ReputationRep:
    I just read about clearing and it says on results day i can change my firm/insurance offer. So if i don't get the grades for reading but the grades for Greenwich i can ring up Greenwich and Kingston and see if i can change my option.

The grade Boundaries for Greenwich and Kingston are basically the same.
    It's not quite as simple as that. You need a clearing number which you won't get if you have been accepted by Greenwich and, without it, Kingston are not allowed to talk to you. To get a clearing number, you need to ask Greenwich to reject you into clearing and that takes time, by which time any places in Kingston may well have gone, assuming there are any in the first place. That is why I say if there is no chance that you want to go to Greenwich, get out of that commitment now, ahead of results day, so that you can go into clearing straight away without waiting.

By the way, the 'reply with quote' button makes it much easier for me to see you are talking to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    It's not quite as simple as that. You need a clearing number which you won't get if you have been accepted by Greenwich and, without it, Kingston are not allowed to talk to you. To get a clearing number, you need to ask Greenwich to reject you into clearing and that takes time, by which time any places in Kingston may well have gone, assuming there are any in the first place. That is why I say if there is no chance that you want to go to Greenwich, get out of that commitment now, ahead of results day, so that you can go into clearing straight away without waiting.

By the way, the 'reply with quote' button makes it much easier for me to see you are talking to me.
    I'm just scared that if i cancel Greenwich now only to realize that Kingston won't have a place and i will end up with basically nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just scared that if i cancel Greenwich now only to realize that Kingston won't have a place and i will end up with basically nothing.
    I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it. You say you absolutely don't want to go to Greenwich. Are you going to go there rather than take a year out and reapply? In any case, there will be lots of courses in clearing. You will probably find one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it. You say you absolutely don't want to go to Greenwich. Are you going to go there rather than take a year out and reapply? In any case, there will be lots of courses in clearing. You will probably find one.
    I had to retake a year which means i wasted my gap year and absolutely have to go to uni this year.

ReputationRep:
    I had to retake a year which means i wasted my gap year and absolutely have to go to uni this year.
    No you don't. Nobody has to go to university at any age. Students can be from 18 to 80 (and they are.) It makes no sense at all to waste your one shot at student finance on a course you don't want to do. Wait until you get the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't. Nobody has to go to university at any age. Students can be from 18 to 80 (and they are.) It makes no sense at all to waste your one shot at student finance on a course you don't want to do. Wait until you get the right thing.
    I guess i will just take Greenwhich if Reading don't accept me, i guess it wont be too bad just staying on campus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.