The Student Room Group

PC Steering Wheels

Anybody here got any experience with PC steering wheels? I had the Official Xbox 360 wheel which was OK, but I fancy getting something a little better for PC. I don't really have a budget in mind... I know how much Fanatec setups cost!

Any recommendations?
Reply 1
G27 has always been well recommended whenever I've looked. Seems to have gone up in price by a good £50-£70 from when I last looked though. £215 on amazon.

Maybe the Thrustmaster T500 RS base with Ferrari F1 wheel add on? Only £400!

Or a much cheaper alternative, buy my Simraceway SRW S-1 wheel. £50 :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dhr90
G27 has always been well recommended whenever I've looked. Seems to have gone up in price by a good £50-£70 from when I last looked though. £215 on amazon.

Maybe the Thrustmaster T500 RS base with Ferrari F1 wheel add on? Only £400!

Or a much cheaper alternative, buy my Simraceway SRW S-1 wheel. £50 :wink:

I've looked at the G27 and that might not be a bad shout.

The Thrustmaster T500 RS is certainly one to consider tbh. It looks pretty cool and has some really good reviews, though it's pedals are apparently nowhere near the Fanatec ones.

Haha! Is that a tilt control pad? It looks pretty funky, but I can get it delivered for £42 with my Amazon Prime trial! :lol:
Reply 3
Original post by mikeyd85
I've looked at the G27 and that might not be a bad shout.

The Thrustmaster T500 RS is certainly one to consider tbh. It looks pretty cool and has some really good reviews, though it's pedals are apparently nowhere near the Fanatec ones.

Haha! Is that a tilt control pad? It looks pretty funky, but I can get it delivered for £42 with my Amazon Prime trial! :lol:

Which Fanatec one are you looking at?

Think of it as a Wii controller. Works very well tbh, balancing throttle and gear changes was so much easier than with a pad, the lights were very useful too, perfectly aligned in peripheral vision, but no force feedback is such a pig to play with! £42 delivered?! I thought they were still going for £100 odd new! Guess I'll have to lower my selling price then, or just accept what CEX offer for them.
Original post by dhr90
Which Fanatec one are you looking at?

Think of it as a Wii controller. Works very well tbh, balancing throttle and gear changes was so much easier than with a pad, the lights were very useful too, perfectly aligned in peripheral vision, but no force feedback is such a pig to play with! £42 delivered?! I thought they were still going for £100 odd new! Guess I'll have to lower my selling price then, or just accept what CEX offer for them.

Club Sport Wheel :colone: It is very tempting considering I've just bought high end keyboard and mouse too. Depends if I can really justify the best part of 700 really. Might be a bit over kill, but with games like Asseto Corsa, Project CARS and Next Car Game coming soon and the temptations of iRacing and Raceroom Racing Experience I am tempted to get it.

Sounds pretty good that to be honest, but I couldn't live without FFB for racing.
Reply 5
Club Sport Wheel :colone: It is very tempting considering I've just bought high end keyboard and mouse too. Depends if I can really justify the best part of 700 really. Might be a bit over kill, but with games like Asseto Corsa, Project CARS and Next Car Game coming soon and the temptations of iRacing and Raceroom Racing Experience I am tempted to get it.

Sounds pretty good that to be honest, but I couldn't live without FFB for racing.

Well that looks damned good! Especially the GT and open wheels wheels they have for it.

It's faily good, I've seen people strap it to a wheel base to get force feedback which is a good idea. I only got it as I won it in a competition. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
Original post by dhr90
Well that looks damned good! Especially the GT and open wheels wheels they have for it.

It's faily good, I've seen people strap it to a wheel base to get force feedback which is a good idea. I only got it as I won it in a competition. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Hell yeah it does! :yep:

Fair enough like. Congrats I guess! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hell yeah it does! :yep:

Fair enough like. Congrats I guess! :biggrin:

Have you tried one in person? Or any other sim setups?

Completely unrelated, but have you tried f1 2013 on a console? Is the resolution/frame rate better than 2011? Something on 2011 is just really bad and causes quite bad eye strain and headaches for me. Gran Turismo however is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
Have you tried one in person? Or any other sim setups?

Completely unrelated, but have you tried f1 2013 on a console? Is the resolution/frame rate better than 2011? Something on 2011 is just really bad and causes quite bad eye strain and headaches for me. Gran Turismo however is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I haven't unfortunately. Don't know anyone with one to be honest!

Yes I have and you're playing it on PS3 so I can't compare. IIRC from the days when Codemasters had their old forums, F1 2013 for PS3 (and all the other F1 games) had numerous issues when compared to the 360 version. Either way, it's jarring on console and the framerate isn't always smooth, especially when playing on Monaco.
Reply 9
Nah I haven't unfortunately. Don't know anyone with one to be honest!

Yes I have and you're playing it on PS3 so I can't compare. IIRC from the days when Codemasters had their old forums, F1 2013 for PS3 (and all the other F1 games) had numerous issues when compared to the 360 version. Either way, it's jarring on console and the framerate isn't always smooth, especially when playing on Monaco.

I really want to go to one of those simulator places which has a range of sports car and single seater setups. I know I'd be hopeless but it's be great fun in my opinion!

Thanks. Definitely not going to bother with F1 2013 if it's still got those problems for PS3, however tempting it is from that hot lap thread :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
I really want to go to one of those simulator places which has a range of sports car and single seater setups. I know I'd be hopeless but it's be great fun in my opinion!

Thanks. Definitely not going to bother with F1 2013 if it's still got those problems for PS3, however tempting it is from that hot lap thread :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! There was a #AskLewis thing on Twitter not long ago so I asked if he could get me a go on the Merc sim to see if I could beat him. I was hoping the Challenge Accepted mentality might win me something there, but alas no! :lol:

Jarring visuals aside, it'll run fine in hotlap mode. I only ever got slowdown during full grid AI races tbh, and that wasn't too often.
Has anyone tried the Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel Value Pack? I know that it's costly when it comes to price but it can't escape some flaws. What are its cons?
Reply 12
This will make you want a wheel even more. And possibly drool a bit :tongue:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CdpyZna_7pY

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keimastudnt
Has anyone tried the Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel Value Pack? I know that it's costly when it comes to price but it can't escape some flaws. What are its cons?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/24/edit-fanatec-forza-motorsort-csr-wheel-and-elite-pedals-review/

Reviews well there.

Original post by dhr90
This will make you want a wheel even more. And possibly drool a bit :tongue:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CdpyZna_7pY

:colonhash:

And now I want a triple screen setup. Don't think my GPU will run that though and my mobo doesn't support nVidia SLI. Saying that, I'm not buying another GTX 780! :nope:

I checked the link. Only two cons are there, but that's fine. I bet that would cost a lot on repair if it's damaged.

Quick Reply