Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Missing off a job from application watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay this might sound stupid but I just wanna know what would happen in this situation.

I worked for a company before and a job for the same company but a different branch has come up. I wanna apply for the job but I know if I do they'll contact the branch I used to work for, that wouldn't be a bad thing as we did end on good terms but I'd rather they didn't.

What would happen if I missed off that I used to work for them from my job application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isasummers)
    Okay this might sound stupid but I just wanna know what would happen in this situation.

I worked for a company before and a job for the same company but a different branch has come up. I wanna apply for the job but I know if I do they'll contact the branch I used to work for, that wouldn't be a bad thing as we did end on good terms but I'd rather they didn't.

What would happen if I missed off that I used to work for them from my job application?
    Depends when you worked for them - if you worked for them at a time after you were first employed (i.e. it was your 2nd or 3rd job) then the interviewer might ask why there's such a gap in your employment history (for which you'll either admit to lying, or you make up something and lie about it - which might prompt further questions).

I would think, though, that Head Office would still have your details and therefore find out about it further down the application stage, either pre or post interview.

Due to it essentially being you lying about your employment history, your employers might not like this and therefore not give you the job, seeing as you've lied to them.

I would save yourself the trouble and just include it in the application to be honest. It saves you lying, and if you don't mind them contacting your old store then the reason you left can't have been that bad. Plus it's likely they thought well of you.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by isasummers)

It's fine to miss of a previous job if it isn't with the same company, but you are opening up a can of worms if you miss of a job with the same company. They will find out eventually, but then you may face a whole bunch of questions. I'm afraid you've pretty much got to put it in there.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.