Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need my passport or birth certificate for proof of identity so I can get maintenance grant.

I'm so frustrated, I'm thinking of forgetting about the maintenance grant and living as a poor person throughout uni.

First off, my passport expired and it needs to be renewed, and I'm sure I won't receive it quick enough. I probably will receive it somewhere in August. So will it be too late to provide the evidence in August? And how will that affect my application? What if I don't receive my passport until months later?

Second, I've got my birth certificate and the cover letter. But I don't know a random stranger with a good job that would provide their details for my birth certificate form. After all, how can one possibly know a stranger? Not me. Can't get a teacher to sign it, college is over. Can't get a doctor to sign it, I'm not travelling so far for a paper to be signed and my local doctor surgery doesn't want to. I have an appointment at a hospital on 4th August, maybe I could get a qualified stranger to sign it then. Is that ok, or will it be too late? I haven't heard of any other stranger that can sign it. Last but not least, this is my damn original birth certificate, sending it off through the post doesn't seem too safe to me. Why does a stranger have to validate my identity? What if I just sent off my birth certificate and the cover letter without the form? There's enough proof on my birth certificate.

I don't know what I'm doing. I provided my parents' evidence of income weeks ago, now what? That was a real pain in the neck as my dad doesn't live with us and I don't even know if he provided the correct information even though he said so. I don't think he thinks it's serious, but whatever. Do I need to send in the evidence of identity for them to calculate how much student finance I'll receive? And how long does it take for them to do that exactly?

What if I can't send my evidence until late August? Will I get my maintenance grant late? And will student finance bother to calculate how much I will get then or will they completely disregard my application.

The amount of anger instilled in me at the moment because of SFE is unbelievable. And yet, I've been trying since a month to find a stranger. No can do.

:mad:
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello

We need to confirm who you are to ensure you will be eligible for finance. This effects all finance not just your grants and all students must provide this information before applications will be approved.

Birth certificates are not identification themselves, therefore it must be countersinged on the birth certificate form. This should not in fact be a stranger, as the regulations on the form state the person should have know you for at least 2 years. There are numerous occupations as ideas for you on there. In case you don't have the form it's available here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...tity/year-1415.

If you cannot get this then you will need to renew your passport. You can still provide the information in August, however this may result in a small delay to your funding. We will still be able to process your ID whenever you are able to provide us with the required information, so you will not miss out even if it's later than expected.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.