Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does any current UON students have any experience with not meeting their offers and still being accepted on to the course. My offer for criminology is BBB. At best I'll be looking at getting ABC but at worst BBD. Due to having one really bad exam I am not going to get the 3 Bs. I have my heart set on Nottingham and I'm desperate to go there in September. Due

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    Does any current UON students have any experience with not meeting their offers and still being accepted on to the course. My offer for criminology is BBB. At best I'll be looking at getting ABC but at worst BBD. Due to having one really bad exam I am not going to get the 3 Bs. I have my heart set on Nottingham and I'm desperate to go there in September. Due
    It's super hard for anybody who's not part of your department's admissions team to be able to predict.

It varies year-on-year depending upon changes in the number of applicants, number who Firm/Insurance/Reject the offer, the level of offers, the cases of >ABB and <ABB under the government's Student Number Controls, that year's A Level grades, that year's applicants for your course's A Level grades, etc.

If you get ABC on a BBB offer then you stand in a better chance than a lot of people who will be getting below their offer but not any higher in individual subjects. You're also not a borderline Student Number Controls case, so missing your offer means far less for the university as an institution.

I got in below my offer and I know plenty others who did. All you can do for now is concentrate on your exams, do your best, and wait for the admissions process to run its course, and of course be prepared for results day

ReputationRep:
    A fellow coursemate got onto our course (back in 2010) needed BBB and got BCD. So it's certainly possible. However there were more places available than applicants, and it can vary year on year. Do your best and focus on your exams, and see what happens. Nobody can really predict whether your grades will be right except the admissions team I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    It does really vary but from my experience with friends, lots (dare I say most?) failed to meet their offer but were accepted anyway. Lots of my friends needed AAB but got ABB or even ABC. My friend who's doing classical civilization and psychology needed AAA but got A*AU and was let in. There's loads of stories like that, you'll just have to see on the day.

It's DEFINITELY worth ringing up though if your UCAS says you were rejected. The friend that got A*AU was rejected on UCAS but has a really savvy mum and she rang, asking to speak to accommodation then told accommodation she was looking for the people in charge of his course and she got put straight through to the people in charge and they accepted him. You just never know

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same position... applied for accounting, finance and management which asks for AAB

At best I'm looking at getting ABB although BBB/BBC is probably the most realistic after past results.

Any thoughts on my chances?

ReputationRep:
    Like previously mentioned it may all depend on how people have applied, how other applicants have done in their exams. If you don't get the specific grades the uni will also look at your personal statement as well as your references. I have been advised to still call up the uni even if on the day of results its says I haven't been got a place on the UCAS site.
    Best of luck. Hope everything works out for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.