Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good enough for cambridge? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying for medicine at cambridge this year but I'm not sure if it's worth my while:/
    My GCSEs are pretty average for Cambridge I feel, I got 7A*3A
    I do Chemistry, bio, maths, and French at AS and I'm slightly worried about the fact that I do French instead of physics.
    As regards work experience I have done 10 days intotal with a cardiologist, haemotologist and a surgeon
    In terms of volunteering I have volunteered in a charity shop and a nursing home so i have achieved the millennium volunteers 200 hrs award
    Regarding extra things I am a cadet at st johns, completed my bronze medallion lifesaving award etc. I have a part time job in a hotel which I guess demonstrates time management
    I went on the Cambridge summer scheme at corpus last week and during the year I attended a medical seminar held in MBC so this reflects an interest in medicine
    At the minute I'm reading lots of medical books to help with interviews etc.
    I am also considering applying to Queens, Glasgow and Dundee

ReputationRep:
    So far there's nothing that will rule you out. Your AS UMS in your science subjects, followed by your BMAT performance is far more important than anything else pre-interview.

Don't worry about not taking physics, IIRC the percentage success rates are no different between applicants doing 3 sciences vs those doing 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    So far there's nothing that will rule you out. Your AS UMS in your science subjects, followed by your BMAT performance is far more important than anything else pre-interview.

Don't worry about not taking physics, IIRC the percentage success rates are no different between applicants doing 3 sciences vs those doing 4.

do you think that the gcses are alright??

ReputationRep:
    would it be wise for me to apply??? or would it be a waste of one of my choices if the chances are pretty slim:/

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go, you should definitely apply (depending on your UMS scores).
    I went on that medical thing to Corpus last year and it motivated me to apply as well.
    So far I don't see anything hindering your application!

Best of luck, fellow NI student!

(I am an offer holder for Queens' college Cambridge medicine if you want to ask me anything)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annamc97)
    would it be wise for me to apply??? or would it be a waste of one of my choices if the chances are pretty slim:/
    Wait until you get your UMS scores back to finalise whether or not it's worthwhile to apply.

ReputationRep:
    do you think that the gcses are alright??
    They are fine. Cambridge places much more emphasis on AS UMS and BMAT, so you really need to wait until after AS results day before you can decide whether it's worth applying or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They are fine. Cambridge places much more emphasis on AS UMS and BMAT, so you really need to wait until after AS results day before you can decide whether it's worth applying or not.
    that's great thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it would be worth applying (depends on your AS UMS as well, of course).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.