Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trading stocks for a while now, although my riches really have taken a turn for the best recently - invested £4500 in a minerals company in time for opening yesterday morning, and I've made £2000 since. Does anyone else trade? Love to hear your experiences and successes

ReputationRep:
    I play spread betting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    I play spread betting
    Betting on what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Betting on what?
    Index such as FTSE, Nikkei etc oil such as Shell, Exxon etc and sometimes Fx such as GBP to USD
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I've been trading stocks for a while now, although my riches really have taken a turn for the best recently - invested £4500 in a minerals company in time for opening yesterday morning, and I've made £2000 since. Does anyone else trade? Love to hear your experiences and successes
    I do!

Mostly equities (stocks), some commodities and indices. When I'm lazy I'll just plough my cash into leveraged ETFs.

I have a little over £6-7k to play with, started with £500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I've looked into trading but it seems very complicated and I don't want to just jump in and lose all my money. What do you recommend for a beginner?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    I've looked into trading but it seems very complicated and I don't want to just jump in and lose all my money. What do you recommend for a beginner?
    Everyone has their own trading system so youll never get a strategy that suits you without doing your own research. Have a look on Investopedia if youre after a good place to start.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Read investopedia and sign up for a virtual trading account - either the investopedia one, wall street survivors (really good, I recommend it) or some other site.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Everyone has their own trading system so youll never get a strategy that suits you without doing your own research. Have a look on Investopedia if youre after a good place to start.
    Beat me to it!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Beat me to it!
    This is starting to become a common occurence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Read investopedia and sign up for a virtual trading account - either the investopedia one, wall street survivors (really good, I recommend it) or some other site.
    Thanks for the advice. If I end up doing well with the virtual money, how do I know if it was good trading skills or just dumb luck?

ReputationRep:
    If you are young, go for equities... thats best strategy but as you age, rebalance your portfolio to match your risk profile.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's actually worse to do in small amounts since you pay a brokerage fee (usually something around £20 or similar, depending on the market and the broker you're using) every time you make a trade, so spreading small amounts across lots of options may be safer risk-wise, but you could still lose if you don't break even on the fees.

I hit lucky, but I got some advice from a very experienced trader on Saturday and my share prices have shot up by 40% in one day.

A good rule of thumb that I've always used is to buy when it's going up, and sell when it's going down. But make sure you have a stop loss ready to kick in if you're not there monitoring your portfolio.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I recommend that you all look at the stocks and shares sticky thread at the top of this section.

If a mod sees this, it may be worth merging this thread into that one.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I recommend that you all look at the stocks and shares sticky thread at the top of this section.

If a mod sees this, it may be worth merging this thread into that one.
    It's slightly different. Most of those on the S&S thread are long-term buy and holders, and trading isn't limited to shares only.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    Index such as FTSE, Nikkei etc oil such as Shell, Exxon etc and sometimes Fx such as GBP to USD
    If I wanted to make a bet that the FTSE would reach say 8000 by 2020 would I do that in a bookies or through the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If I wanted to make a bet that the FTSE would reach say 8000 by 2020 would I do that in a bookies or through the market.
    Such bets are made through financial betting firms such as city index, IG index etc. These firms almost work like bookies such as William Hill etc but the strategey to play spread is like derivatives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.