Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe! Watch

ReputationRep:

"Rainbow Europe Map reflecting the European countries’ legislation/policies that have a direct impact on the human rights of LGBTI people"

Source: rainbow-europe.org

What do people think of this, is the UK really as progressive as this might lead one to believe or is it merely indicative of a liberal/urban political/media elite pushing a pro-gay legislative agenda (whilst a significant proportion of the rest of society remain rather more Putin-esque in their values/outlook)?

Have people experiences of any of the other countries featured that differ from the indicator given?

France, Spain, Greece = consistent with what I know of them, and we all know the Irish/Italians are a wee bit 'Vatican' at times, but their ratings still surprised me!

EDIT: UK has now slipped from top spot!

ReputationRep:
    I think Turkey is higher than 14% lol
    Probably around 30%

ReputationRep:
    'whilst a significant proportion of the rest of society remain rather more Putin-esque in their values/outlook'

Do they, I don't think that's the case at all, sure they exist, but they're a minority I'd say.

The negative replies on this forum to this are inevitable, but I'm sorry, I really can't see how something that shows the UK to be a tolerant and progressive country to be a bad thing, homophobia, intolerance and discrimination based on sexuality are not good things at all and should have no place in a modern society.

ReputationRep:
    Great news

All we need now is more tolerance, I STILL hear people being overly homophobic and it's such a shame. We are getting better though, slowly but surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 티 마)
    I think Turkey is higher than 14% lol
    Probably around 30%
    Hmm, I suppose it does seem rather low for a relatively 'progressive' Muslim country, but then they do have a conservative, some would say draconian, political leadership eh..

What are you basing your view on, and what leads you to believe it should be double what it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Woohaaaaayyy!!!!!!

I don't quite understand the percentage though.

ReputationRep:
    You call us the gayest nation...I would say the most fabulous

ReputationRep:
    Germany surprises me a bit - but then I always forget how catholic it actually is. I'd be interested to know what the remaining 16% consists of - maybe because NI doesn't have full equality yet?

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised Scandinavia and the Netherlands are lower than the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2209)
    I'm surprised Scandinavia and the Netherlands are lower than the UK.
    Tolerance of the extremely camp celebrity (I can only think of one here but then I don't really watch reality TV etc) seems lower here than in the UK. I am surprised that it's only 60% though, while not being surprised that it's lower than the UK.

ReputationRep:
    is that map saying that 82% of us are on the other bus ?

ReputationRep:
    I have always liked Monaco! It is a beautiful country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    is that map saying that 82% of us are on the other bus ?
    Technically, that would be 18% on the other bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    We also have one of the highest immigration rates and in a few years white british will be the ethnic minority. Doesn't mean we all like it but there's nothing we can do, it's the decision of those in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ummm
    Is that really relevant?
    Also source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConsiderScience)
    Also source?
    He pulled it out from his backside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Tolerance of the extremely camp celebrity (I can only think of one here but then I don't really watch reality TV etc) seems lower here than in the UK. I am surprised that it's only 60% though, while not being surprised that it's lower than the UK.
    You're right. And as you know from living in Sjælland us Nordics aren't as "progressive" as is the common conception. Norway and Sweden, once past the more populated south is quite conservative. Especially in ideals of family role, societal roles etc

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty gay, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Belgiums high score is down to the European Parliament and all the MEP's that work there.

ReputationRep:
    yay!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Do they, I don't think that's the case at all, sure they exist, but they're a minority I'd say
    I'm not convinced they're necessarily in a minority (not that significant proportion implies a majority), but certainly millions, perhaps tens of millions, of people in this country remain intolerant, or homophobic, and anything in between

I really can't see how something that shows the UK to be a tolerant and progressive country to be a bad thing
    In general it's a good thing/source of strength. However anyone who knows a thing or two about the sustainable evolution of social systems will tell you that tolerance and progressivism are not without their pitfalls, albeit typically transient 'bumps' in the road

homophobia, intolerance and discrimination based on sexuality are not good things at all and should have no place in a modern society
    I agree re: homophobia. Tolerance is a matter for individuals however, and to deny people the right to be (personally/privately) intolerant of this or that person according to this or that personal trait really is a step in the wrong direction for me. One of the most basic/fundamental lessons from psychology is that bottling up emotions can have explosive consequences - this includes tolerating people/behaviours that we are not truly, wholly comfortable with, rather than engaging with feelings of discomfort and seeking resolution. For me the aim should not be tolerance, but acceptance in the context of understanding/empathy/humanity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.