Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take to build up stamina? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to swim around 3-5 times a week, and my training routine was pretty intense, yet I still felt like I could keep going; I had awesome stamina. I would do way over 50 lengths in one session, including butterfly.
    I gave it up for pretty stupid reasons, and over the past couple of years I've gone out of shape. A couple of days ago I decided to get back in the pool to get as fit as I was. Now, I'm not expecting to do exactly the same routine like it's a walk in the park... But I do around 4 lengths and I have to have a breather. I do manage up to 50 lengths in a session, but I have to have pretty regular breaks to catch my breath. My question is, roughly how long will it take to get my stamina up, so I can do say 10-20 lengths without having to stop to catch my breath? Sorry for the long post.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't take as long as it did the first time around, but it'll probably still take a while as you've been out of practice for quite a while. I'm afraid I can't provide an exact figure as it really does differ drastically between people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    It shouldn't take as long as it did the first time around, but it'll probably still take a while as you've been out of practice for quite a while. I'm afraid I can't provide an exact figure as it really does differ drastically between people.
    A rough estimate would still be really helpful! I'm not looking to do the routine I used to really, that's something I'm only gonna aim for after I've really got back in the swing of things.
    I'm hoping to be doing over an hour of swimming everyday, would that build my stamina up quicker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucybuckleyy)
    I'm hoping to be doing over an hour of swimming everyday, would that build my stamina up quicker?
    An hour a day is brilliant, as I've found consistency massively helps in increasing endurance. To go from 4 lengths to about 20ish in one go, I'd say it would take nearly a month. However, that estimate is based on when I used to swim a lot as a young teen, so I'd take it with a grain of salt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    An hour a day is brilliant, as I've found consistency massively helps in increasing endurance. To go from 4 lengths to about 20ish in one go, I'd say it would take nearly a month. However, that estimate is based on when I used to swim a lot as a young teen, so I'd take it with a grain of salt!
    That doesn't seem so bad, especially since my pool membership is due to be renewed in just over a month I'm really trying to push myself; I'm desperate to be as fit as I was. Thanks a lot for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.