Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my GCSEs but still can't decide what I want to study for AS levels next year. I don't know what I want to study at uni so really want to keep my options open with my choices.
    I'm currently thinking about studying:
    *English Literature
    *History
    *Biology
    *Chemistry
    However, I am worried that this might be too much work so I'd really appreciate anyone who has taken any of these subjects, or perhaps even all of them, to give me some feedback on whether they're good choices.

(Also I am expected to get an A in biology, chemistry and history and an A* in english lit in my GCSEs)

ReputationRep:
    Science subjects are mainly just ensuring you understand and memorise the content. Same probably goes for history. but I heard there`s a lot of essays involved for it. English Lit is basically where you read a number of literature, books, plays and poems and then are given questions relating to them in the exam, so there`s memorisation involved as well as learning what to include in essays and writing appropriately

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what you want to study at Uni (and thus I assume this extends to career path), then I'd suggest doing what you think you will be best at for A-levels. A high number of UCAS points will only be beneficial, and all is not necessarily lost if you decide on a career that is unrelated to your A-levels as there are usually ways into things, especially with high UCAS points.

I am going to be studying mechanical engineering after finally deciding on what to do, yet none of my A-levels were anything to do with it due to not having a clue on a career path at the time.

ReputationRep:
    It WILL be a lot of work. I take it that with two science subjects and two artsy subjects you want to keep options open to both sciences and humanities? My worry would be that you leave yourself too sparce on science knowledge if you decided on that route for uni. You could probably get on a course (do check out courses NOW) but it may be more difficult. Bottom line is as always, do what you will enjoy. I got an A* at chemistry GCSE as did most in my class and many of them are struggling with the chemistry AS. There is very little room for error. If you do it, make sure you're committed. I don't do your other subjects but I know that people say there's a lot of essay writing in the eng lit and bio is a bit of a shock in the first term.
    Have you thought of interdisciplinary subjects? Like geography? It's accepted as both arts and science. It would keep options open in a way. At some point you will have to make a big decision and the sooner you make it the more prepared you will be. Use your summer wisely to think it over and dig into courses.

ReputationRep:
    My sister did that exact subject combination; she had A LOT of work! She'd be doing at least 3 hours worth if studying every day (if not more) and that was from the very start, so I'd say that if you are going to study them four subjects, just be prepared to put in the hours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I did that combination and found it absolutely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.