Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does anyone tutor a younger sibling? Watch

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    my sister is in gcse and struggling with maths and I got an A in maths when i did it at gcse. on her report from her maths teacher it said she needs to practice certain topics and most of them i am fairly comfortable with. A relative suggested that i tutor her and my parents pay me for it and i had never thought of that before. I need a bit of extra cash so i was wondering if it is a good idea. The only thing is i hate asking my parents for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgwktm)
    my sister is in gcse and struggling with maths and I got an A in maths when i did it at gcse. on her report from her maths teacher it said she needs to practice certain topics and most of them i am fairly comfortable with. A relative suggested that i tutor her and my parents pay me for it and i had never thought of that before. I need a bit of extra cash so i was wondering if it is a good idea. The only thing is i hate asking my parents for money.
    No harm in trying. You could possibly suggest to your parents hiring a tutor for your sister, but also reminding them that it'll cost them a lot so instead they could pay you a little amount. I get nervous about asking my parents for money sometimes (even though I have a job) but unless you keep asking them all the time, I'm pretty sure they won't mind giving you an allowance every now and then.

I sort of tutor my younger brother, he's starting year 9 this year though. So I don't get any money for helping him haha
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    No harm in trying. You could possibly suggest to your parents hiring a tutor for your sister, but also reminding them that it'll cost them a lot so instead they could pay you a little amount. I get nervous about asking my parents for money sometimes (even though I have a job) but unless you keep asking them all the time, I'm pretty sure they won't mind giving you an allowance every now and then.

I sort of tutor my younger brother, he's starting year 9 this year though. So I don't get any money for helping him haha
    My friend tutored her brother for maths and he ended up doing well. my sister is dyslexic and is predicted an E for maths and my parents really want her to get a C understandably. I won't be able to tutor her after the summer cause i'm going to uni, but i'm not doing much now. Yeah I'll try, i don't mind not being paid much.
    I also have experience in helping people with studying cause i helped someone voluntarily over email with geography for gcse.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. I help out my younger siblings all the time, but I never thought of ever getting paid for it! :lol:

Having said that, my parents would never pay me just to help family and in all fairness I agree with them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I won't be able to tutor her after the summer cause i'm going to uni, but i'm not doing much now.
    I was going to suggest Skype. But I imagine you'd be far too busy.

ReputationRep:

Hi my sisier got an A grade too in her maths GCSE and she helped me out eventhough she did not get payed by my parents.I think you should go for it

ReputationRep:
    My friend tutored her brother for maths and he ended up doing well. my sister is dyslexic and is predicted an E for maths and my parents really want her to get a C understandably. I won't be able to tutor her after the summer cause i'm going to uni, but i'm not doing much now. Yeah I'll try, i don't mind not being paid much.
    I also have experience in helping people with studying cause i helped someone voluntarily over email with geography for gcse.
    Yeah definitely give her all the help you can give her. My brother also has learning difficulties too, so I'd hope that he could get the best grades possible when he does his gcse. The less concerned you are about how much money you get the more willing your parents will be. So good luck

ReputationRep:
    Wanting money for helping your younger sibling who is already struggling, what is wrong with you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.