Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently I've overheard at least three people talking about how bad bananas are because they are radioactive- is this true or are they just saying it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    Recently I've overheard at least three people talking about how bad bananas are because they are radioactive- is this true or are they just saying it....
    Everything is radioactive to an extent, so yes, they are correct, but it's nothing to worry about. You'd be just as correct to say that the carpet is radioactive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are radioactive because of their potassium content, but it's not harmful.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    You get a higher radiation dosage from a single X-ray than you'd get from eating a thousand bananas. And the X-ray is totally safe. I'm not sure what the leathal dosage is for eating bananas but I expect the potassium overdose would kick in long before radiation poisoning would.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, have you never heard of a banana bomb?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. And how bad are planes for radiation? Like, travelling in one for eight hours?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. And how bad are planes for radiation? Like, travelling in one for eight hours?
    This would be comparable to an X-ray, meaning it's harmless.

ReputationRep:
    famously, eating a banana exposes you to a higher level of radiation than living for a year on a nuclear power plant.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty safe, you do suffer an increased exposure to cosmic radiation the higher up you go, but it's probably comparable to spending a day out in the hot sun.

The only time to worry about this is if you are pregnant then probably best to avoid planes to prevent exposure to the unborn child.

As for the Bananas, I once heard that you have eat about ten thousand before you receive the same kind of exposure as a chest x-ray. Not something to worry about. Higher risks in life to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbola)
    It's pretty safe, you do suffer an increased exposure to cosmic radiation the higher up you go, but it's probably comparable to spending a day out in the hot sun.

The only time to worry about this is if you are pregnant then probably best to avoid planes to prevent exposure to the unborn child.

As for the Bananas, I once heard that you have eat about ten thousand before you receive the same kind of exposure as a chest x-ray. Not something to worry about. Higher risks in life to worry about.
    I've found a league table of radioactive food.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodco...tive-Foods.htm

Bananas are #3 which means they're not the oxbridge of radioactive foods - probably somewhere in the Russell group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    And the X-ray is totally safe.
    X-rays are reasonably safe if you're only exposed as often as the average layman. Dentists, radiologists, and others who stand to be exposed to them daily have to take special precautions, since the rads will begin to build up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    famously, eating a banana exposes you to a higher level of radiation than living for a year on a nuclear power plant.
    Not if your lunchbox contained a banana. :banana2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.