Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you know you can become diabetic from eating too much fruit.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's kinda obvious when you think about it- fruit is full of natural sugar, which makes it taste sweet. Apparently loads of people born in tropical places like Barbados and Jamaica are diabetic, because they mainly eat fruit! I wouldn't think five a day could harm you, but who knows....
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    It's kinda obvious when you think about it- fruit is full of natural sugar, which makes it taste sweet. Apparently loads of people born in tropical places like Barbados and Jamaica are diabetic, because they mainly eat fruit! I wouldn't think five a day could harm you, but who knows....
    Moved to Health

ReputationRep:
    Where did you see that..? Type 2?

ReputationRep:
    There is no correlation between sugar and diabetes, both type 1 and 2, this has been proven. Never heard of that about tropical places, do you have any references? cause the same could be said about many african countries since people also eat alot of fruit there, but i've never heard anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    Or perhaps there is quite a lot of genetic correlation when it comes to type 2 diabetes, which is very well documented. Far too many confounding variables with what you're claiming (unless you can provide a reliable source!). Plus, developing diabetes isn't about sugar consumption, it's a combination of lifestyle factors, body mass and yes, genetics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My nan has diabetes and my friend, and that's a result of sugar...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by palmisland)
    There is no correlation between sugar and diabetes, both type 1 and 2, this has been proven. Never heard of that about tropical places, do you have any references? cause the same could be said about many african countries since people also eat alot of fruit there, but i've never heard anything like that.
    Although I agree with what you're trying to say what you actually said is false. Eating lots of sugar makes you overweight which puts your at risk of developing type 2 diabetes so there is a correlation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    Although I agree with what you're trying to say what you actually said is false. Eating lots of sugar makes you overweight which puts your at risk of developing type 2 diabetes so there is a correlation.
    Yea that is right but i took it as a high sugar intake from fruit, many other things contribute to weight gain than just sugar or sugar from fruit, and also she mentioned people in tropical countries getting diabetes from too much sugar from fruit, not from weight gain caused by too much fruit, besides i think tropical countries have some of the lowest rates of obesity so most likely being overweight in these areas isnt caused by too much sugar, i should have worded my answer a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    yes fruit is sugar

ReputationRep:
    My nan has diabetes and my friend, and that's a result of sugar...:confused:
    Is it? Is it not a result of their genetics and their general diet and lifestyle? Proof? Yes, when you have diabetes, the problem is controlling your blood sugar content, but that doesn't mean that it was actually initiated directly by sugar (although as has been mentioned, eating a load of sugar can increase your weight so can indirectly result in increased risk of developing it, but it isn't the sugar per se that causes it).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You get T2 Diabetes from being fat and having a genetic predisposition, not directly from eating sugar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    You get T2 Diabetes from being fat and having a genetic predisposition, not directly from eating sugar
    I dunno then?! I'll ask the teacher that told me :cool:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.