Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Terminally ill father and trying to work an internship Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been working a Summer internship for the last 3 weeks. I don't love it and I find it quite boring, which adds to my frustration that my dads time is running out and I can't be there with him.
    I know how great it will look on my CV, and I know my dad would probably want me to stay here (even though we haven't discussed it).
    I just wish I could say to my employers that I need to go home maybe one or two days a week to spend time with him. He got rushed into hospital this afternoon and I can't do anything because I'm here.
    I know they would be understanding, but I don't want to take liberties as I've only been here 3 weeks and I'm an intern
    What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry to hear that.

I'd recommend telling your employers the truth and ask to finish the internship at a later date.

See the thing is if you leave you could be replaced, but honestly I'd say family is more important.

So just explain this to your employers, and take the leave you need and then finish the internship later.

I hope you get things sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you xox

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

I agree with Damien. If you explain your situation to them, they might let you continue your internship at a more convenient time. Even if they don't allow you to do that, I would still leave and spend more time with your dad. You don't want to regret not making the most of the time he has left. You'll find other internships in the future, but you won't be able to replace your dad.

This must be so difficult for you. I'm very sorry you're going through this. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Explain everything to your employer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    I've been working a Summer internship for the last 3 weeks. I don't love it and I find it quite boring, which adds to my frustration that my dads time is running out and I can't be there with him.
    I know how great it will look on my CV, and I know my dad would probably want me to stay here (even though we haven't discussed it).
    I just wish I could say to my employers that I need to go home maybe one or two days a week to spend time with him. He got rushed into hospital this afternoon and I can't do anything because I'm here.
    I know they would be understanding, but I don't want to take liberties as I've only been here 3 weeks and I'm an intern
    What should I do?
    If its only a temporary internship its not essential that you stay anyway so don't worry about taking liberties. Your dad is far more important than some work experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.