Is The Matrix Real?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
WhoCares
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
A difference that can't be proven or disproven is no difference.

For example, let's say that the color everyone else sees as yellow, I've seen as blue my whole life. Every time I saw that color, everyone tells me its yellow. I grow up seeing that color as yellow. The sun is yellow. Butter is yellow. How do you know that this isn't true?

Bottom line: it might be, it might not be. One thing is for sure: Its not worth wasting countless hours debating over.
Unregistered2
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
you get that feeling that there is something not ebing seen or something, that is God. you get that feeling, just that strange feeling, something is here, something is happening, nothing's comming on the road allthat stuff, it is God. do you think Christ doesnt interact in His own world?
Unregistered100
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
beautiful response. read "the nature of personal reality" by jane roberts, and ditch the computer ties, they're only analogical. good, but analogical.
Conrad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know someone who's parents purposefully grew him up telling him all the wrong color names to the associated colors. So when he got to school when he was little, the teacher was like what color is this children? He was like "Blue", when the color was really orange. And the teacher got mad after a few times and said he needs to quit being rude and answer correctly. He then explained to his teacher that those color he was answering to were in fact the colors that he was raised knowing. He teacher spent time outside of class correcting this horrible joke that his parents played on him. To this day he still blames his parents for his educational mistakes and hardly believes anyone that says that something is true or false. He is very skeptical about most things.

This applies to the idea that some people think there is a Matrix and others do not think there is a Matrix. While some have grown up thinking there is a truity, others have grown up thinking there is a falsity. Maybe one is right and the other is wrong, but have you ever considered the fact that maybe the mass majority is could be wrong and perhaps that one boy how saw different colors was in fact the one who was right all along?
Ghost Walker
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Conrad)
Just this afternoon, after school was over, I was majorly bumed about a test that I failed miserably. I was walking back from the campus with my girlfriend and I had my head pretty low. I didn't even bother to look in any direction when I was crossing five lanes of traffic, but for some reason, I felt like there was no traffic coming towards me in any direction. Sure enough, I wasn't splatter painted on the road, and after the fact, when my girlfriend and I were up on the curve, I looked back to check to see about the traffic and a huge cargo truck almost took my face off when I turned to look. Don't know how that grabs you for coincidence or fact. For some reason when I am really tired or bumed, I seem more focused on my surroundings. I feel I am most focused and at one with myself when I am angry, I think it helps me concentrate on the tasks at hand. Now if I could only focus on my stupid tests for my stupid classes.

*Please no one tell me that if I spent less time worrying about the Matrix then maybe I might do better in school, cause doing so won't solve any problems for me, it will only make them worse.
How old are you conrad?
Virtdragon
Report 16 years ago
What about your girlfriend Conrad? What does she believe?
taxman
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Before the Matrix came out, I believed that I was in an arcade playing the game of 'earth'. That I was a completley different life form, having some fun on the way back from work/school/ or whatever, and decided to stop in for a game through a timezone type place... that what seems like a lifetime to us, is something that I'll unplug from in 5 mins and continue my day. That the whole game took a fragment of 'real time' and $60 (or 270,000 krytonian - hardy har har) to play. - I can just imagine saying every time the game ends "...I can't believe that every time I play it, it seems like a whole lifetime and I don't know it isn’t real". - if this game only goes for 5 (or so) mins 'real time' back on home 'planet', maybe it's a new release, that’s why there are so many players. All the bad, traumatic things that happen are just computer generated for effect, something to laugh at when you re-watch it on home 'planet'. - anyway, I'll go back in my box.... i just thought it was weird that out of all the theories I had, this one sat the best in my mind....
...then the matrix came out and sent my world in a little bit of a spin. "maybe it IS all real"....
NickNack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What if were part of a matrix, which has been made within an even larger matrix? This could repeat on forever, get your head round that one
P4D5
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i need to know is the matrix really real and if it is how do i get out i need to be free
(Original post by Unregistered)
i can fly
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by P4D5)
i need to know is the matrix really real and if it is how do i get out i need to be free
The matrix has you - run away!
aaa_121uk
Report 16 years ago
even if we are in the matrix, would it b worse if we escaped and be in the real world
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ghost Walker)
How old are you conrad?
i'm 20.
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Virtdragon)
What about your girlfriend Conrad? What does she believe?
She doesn't believe in the Matrix. She thinks it is silly and is nothing but a story, but she said if it was real, then she would opt to stay in the matrix because she wouldn't want to be stuck in a world where there is nothing but old raggidy stuff around. She is all about the cuteness. It sometimes gets to be a little too much.
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NickNack)
What if were part of a matrix, which has been made within an even larger matrix? This could repeat on forever, get your head round that one
A matrix within a matrix that is within a matrix that is within a matrix that is within a matrix that is within a matrix that is within a matrix that is within a matrix that is within a matrix that is . . . Aaaarrrrrggggg!!!!!!
Yup, its crazy to think like that, because if we were in deed in a matrix world, then why would the rulers of the matrix stop at just one, unless they are so powerful and so in control that they do not even bother worrying about the possibility of someone escaping into the real world. Plus if the real world is fake, then why wouldn't they make life a little easier for us in the fake real world (via Zion). But then again, if life was easy in the "real" world, then I think most would be suspectful that they aren't in fact in the real world but are in another Matrix. How's that for a pickle?
felixjmorgan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it is a fantastic idea. i commend whoever thought of it. conrad- do you have msn? you sound like a very interesting person. i agree with your gf, in the fact that if there was a matrix id rather not know. even if the world would end, so? what is the point in life anyway? im not afraid of death, so id rather continue in happiness and suddenly dissapear forever than spend weeks or months fighting for something i dont want
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by felixjmorgan)
it is a fantastic idea. i commend whoever thought of it. conrad- do you have msn? you sound like a very interesting person. i agree with your gf, in the fact that if there was a matrix id rather not know. even if the world would end, so? what is the point in life anyway? im not afraid of death, so id rather continue in happiness and suddenly dissapear forever than spend weeks or months fighting for something i dont want
I don't have MSN. I do have AIM though. You can private message me if you want to talk further. I am very random at times, I know this, as well as have a very active mind. I like to think of things from the perspectives that most wouldn't and I like to take things apart/break things down to see why they work the way that they do. I also have a strong belief in the possibility that the Matrix COULD be real, but I don't go parading around telling it to everyone either, so I think that I'm not that wierd.

If the Matrix was real, I personally would rather want to know the truth than just sit around (mentally at least) and think everything is all right. Can we really be content with our lives knowing that we are not in control, nor do we have any power to as the fate of our lifes? I would much rather escape the false reality and be "free" than always have a feeling that something lying in the shadows doesn't quite settle right in my mind. I'm not saying that I am a Matrix freak who always runs around looking for agents and stuff like that. I just feel that if the Matrix is real, then I will hopefully be fortunate enough to one day be set free. Until that time, I have to make due with what is going on in my current life at the current moment. You are right about that, life is too short to sit around all day worrying about stuff like that, but hey, if it happens then it happens right?
digital_messiah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
same here. But this brings up a good point- that we in fact are still human. lol. dont get me wrong, though. I do like to think about things like this. It doesnt make me crazy, or mentally ill, because as long as i can remember, i always had an above my age level- I.Q. Maybe this brain activity is like yours- ahead of everyone elses.
felixjmorgan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i also have a high iq (not braggin or anything... lol)
but i disagree. what would you gain from knowing? just the fact that you knew and no one else did? it seems like an ego thing to me! lol. you would lose your normal, relatively care free life for what? the satisfaction of knowing...
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Really to me, the satisfaction of knowing would probably lie somewhere around me knowing that my huntch was right all along. To know that I wasn't just overthinking things and looking too deep into things would be a great weight lifted off of me. I have alway had a feeling about an uncertainty in the world. Something that isn't quite right that I can't exactly put my finger on, but if for once my huntch is right, and none of this is real, then it would feel like for once I wasn't wrong, in terms of my beliefs and ideals.
Toppa-Toppa
Report 16 years ago
Matrix???

All i know is life kinda sucks.

Everyday blends into the next one.

Call it what you want but leave school, get a job, get married, get fudged, get divorced then get an invalid fault page and shutdown.

Matrix my ass

I love you Jackie(4 EVA) I.D.S.T
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (102)
9.71%
Isolating with family (71)
6.76%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.71%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.66%
Loneliness (105)
9.99%
Financial worries (47)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (96)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.04%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.66%

Watched Threads