Is The Matrix Real?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
s_agent_smith
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
And what, exactly, do you believe, Mr. Provost?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s_agent_smith)
And what, exactly, do you believe, Mr. Provost?
I believe you're a kid.
s_agent_smith
Report 16 years ago
Now, now, Mr. Provost, this is not the time to start hurling insults.
Who knows, I might even get insulted.

That would be most disastrous... You know me not.

However, I choose to refuse insult. Instead, I will simply ask you to
act your age — whatever that may be.

PS — how's your theoretical macrospatial skills?
s_agent_smith
Report 16 years ago
I must leave.
I am needed in another place.
I will return
at a later date.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s_agent_smith)
Now, now, Mr. Provost, this is not the time to start hurling insults.
Who knows, I might even get insulted.

That would be most disastrous... You know me not.

However, I choose to refuse insult. Instead, I will simply ask you to
act your age — whatever that may be.

PS — how's your theoretical macrospatial skills?
That was no insult. Yet only a kid would see it as one. Thus my skills are a tad better than yours my son.
eram
Report 16 years ago
The ultimate goal of string theory is not only to unify quantum mechanics with general relativity, but also to explain the spectrum of particles and forces observed in nature. Matrix theory, the latest formulation of string theory, has eleven spacetime dimensions. Its proponents have struggled with the most vexing problem of all such theories: explaining exactly how the extra dimensions are "compactified" to make them unobservable in our four-dimensional world. Compactification also specifies most of the interesting properties of such a theory. In the 6 April PRL, a team of string theorists makes a leap toward solving the compactification problem for matrix theory.

String theory posits that the world is made of incredibly small strings vibrating in a ten-dimensional spacetime. Three years ago it was discovered that the five distinct types of string theory were actually different limits of "M theory," an eleven-dimensional theory that includes supergravity. There is no consensus on the meaning of the "M," but many string theorists take it to stand for "membrane," since the theory contains vibrating surfaces of several different dimensions. M theory lacks precise equations of motion, but in 1996, Tom Banks, of Rutgers University in Piscataway, NJ, and his colleagues proposed that M theory might be described by "matrix theory," whose basic variables are matrices.

But compactifying this eleven-dimensional theory down to four dimensions has been challenging. Compactifying means "curling up" extra dimensions of the theory to a very small size. To curl up two dimensions, for example, take a doughnut (a two-dimensional surface), and begin by squeezing it down to a circular wire with an unobservably small cross section. Then squeeze the wire loop down to a point. Without a probe sensitive enough to detect the "shrunken" dimensions, the wire appears one dimensional, and the point appears to have zero dimensions. In M theory that scale, which is of order 10-33 cm, is well beyond the reach of present-day probes, so after compactifying seven tdimensions it seems as though we live in only four dimensions.

In this week's PRL, Shamit Kachru, of the University of California at Berkeley, Albion Lawrence, of Harvard University, and Eva Silverstein, of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in Stanford, CA, tackle the problem of compactifying six dimensions--going from eleven dimensions down to five. ("Qualitatively new" problems arise, according to Kachru, if they try to extend their approach down to four dimensions.) Compactifying six dimensions of matrix theory using a six-dimensional torus (doughnut), a conventional choice, is difficult because the surface has many holes. It also leads to a theory with more symmetries than are observed in nature because tori are too symmetric--they are invariant under many different rotations and reflections. A correct theory must be compactified using a complicated six-dimensional space called a Calabi-Yau manifold, which has fewer symmetries than a six-torus.

There have been many attempts at the first exercise--compactifying matrix theory using a six-torus--but none have succeeded. No one considered trying the presumed harder problem of compactifying with Calabi-Yau manifolds, even though it was known that would utlimately be necessary for a valid theory. But to the surprise of Kachru and his colleagues, it is actually easier to compactify matrix theory with Calabi-Yau manifolds than with six-tori. Calabi-Yau manifolds have fewer holes, which avoids some complications in matrix theory and outweighs the difficulties caused by the complexity of their manifolds. "Matrix theory might teach you why strings like to be compactified on one manifold as opposed to another,"
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That was quite interesting. I stay gone for almost a day and wannabe agents pop up as well as Matrix theorists. Hmmmm. Sounds like either someone is really on to something (the matrix theory explanation) or someone is really into the movie (S_Agent_Smith). I'm not throwing insults anywhere, I just think its funny how I always miss the interesting stuff. That theory sounds somewhat familiar to me. Perhaps I've read something like it or about it in a book or something.

I honestly think that the Matrix does exist, but not exactly like how the movies portray, although that would be super cool. I just don't think that even if the Matrix from the movie is 100% accurate, no one will ever know unless they get out and come back for some of us here and then we come back for others. Like me, I registered as a member of this reality. My registration wouldn't not exist simply because I unplug from the system would it? I would imagine that you are deleted from the system afterward, but the past is the past. I would like to think that if I got out, then I could go to a computer somewhere and log back on to this forum to tell others that I found a way out. But that is just a theory of my own. It's just an opinion.
exbzurg
Report 16 years ago
Hi Conrad! I saw you at Soome's site i think. I aw a show about the quatum string theroy on PBS once. I just started reading some of these matrix threads and it seem that i should have looked around here alot sooner. Up until now ive only talke to people on other matrix forums. Well i really believe in the matrix and stuff and im going to keep checking here to see some more posts from you brilliant(sometimes not) people.
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
My Name is The Merovingian, you know me from the Le Vrai resturant which I believe is in a place you call "Melbourne" in Australia. Before you come to all these conclusions about if the Matrix is real or not I need you to know that only exceptional people find out about the matrix, most of them i can confirm are hackers, like trinity and morpheus and neo were. I suggest you try to free your mind from the systems of control in place on your very mind. An example of control is Religion. It has kept people under control by making them think god created the world, so try to expel these from your mind. As far as things like gravity go, they to are a system of control, free your mind from it and release your full potential. I cannot tell if The matrix is real, you have to see it for yourself. Next time you walk down a street late at night look at the rooftops and see if you can see people jumping from building to building, I cannot promise anything but keep your eyes open.
the 1
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Merovingian)
My Name is The Merovingian, you know me from the Le Vrai resturant which I believe is in a place you call "Melbourne" in Australia. Before you come to all these conclusions about if the Matrix is real or not I need you to know that only exceptional people find out about the matrix, most of them i can confirm are hackers, like trinity and morpheus and neo were. I suggest you try to free your mind from the systems of control in place on your very mind. An example of control is Religion. It has kept people under control by making them think god created the world, so try to expel these from your mind. As far as things like gravity go, they to are a system of control, free your mind from it and release your full potential. I cannot tell if The matrix is real, you have to see it for yourself. Next time you walk down a street late at night look at the rooftops and see if you can see people jumping from building to building, I cannot promise anything but keep your eyes open.
TOSSER
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
Charming
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
that is a bit rich coming for you
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
Tosser
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
We All Know Im Pissing About ********, Dont Get Stressed Gob****e
exbzurg
Report 16 years ago
whats with all the name calling? I thought some of you people were above that? guess i was wrong...
NickNack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by exbzurg)
whats with all the name calling? I thought some of you people were above that? guess i was wrong...
lets all hold hands and make a circle of love in which all our troubles will go away....
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
So did i but i expect hes just a 14 year old geek somewhere who spends all his time on chatrooms and BB's
The Merovingian
Report 16 years ago
lol, ok nicknack
the 1
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Merovingian)
lol, ok nicknack
let me see i think i was wrong merovingian it seems that other people on here can think for them selfs rather than taking in what other people think. But.. is the matrix real well its not the fact that other people u now think its real its what u think down right at the bottom of you're
soul if u think it is real then u will be able to search further for you're
belifes .
Conrad
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Free thinking is very much encouraged in this world as well in other realities. I wonder how many people actually think they are close to finding the truth. The truth is as important to those who do not realize it as well as those who fully embrace it. It is only an amount of time before others begin to wonder and find out parts of the truth just as well all have or at least think we have. I know I have a lot more to uncover, but to know that I am at least on the somewhat right track is a good enough incentive for me. The truth will reveal my purpose in life and within that purpose I will find peace.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
33.92%
No (524)
66.08%

Watched Threads