Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British jihadists caught after parents inform police Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rm-police.html

I applaud these boys parents. They took the correct course of action one should take. Just goes to show that contrary to the bigots opinions, there are good and honest Muslims out there who will take a stand against terrorism, even if the terrorists are their own children.

ReputationRep:
    Good.
    Hopefully this trend continues.

ReputationRep:
    lol, "good parents" my arse.
    Britain's sent a lot of non-weaponry help (and **** knows how much money) to the Syrian "freedom fighters" and yet when some people actually decide to move an arse and go on the ground- they are "the terrorists".
    yeah, consistent policies ftw!

ReputationRep:
    These parents are so brave respect!

ReputationRep:
    Willing to bet there are many who have gone, informed their parents a d their parents will plead ignorance to the media.

Seriously want the full force of the law on these returning terrorists. A British citizen has no business fighting Assad, as they say they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Willing to bet there are many who have gone, informed their parents a d their parents will plead ignorance to the media.

Seriously want the full force of the law on these returning terrorists. A British citizen has no business fighting Assad, as they say they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What of those who join brigades like Ahraar ash shaam who aren't known for any extremism or terrorism? So with whom 'blow back terrorism' will be no risk?

ReputationRep:
    excellent need more parents like this.

ReputationRep:
    Scary to think that the ones that don't get caught are living among us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    What of those who join brigades like Ahraar ash shaam who aren't known for any extremism or terrorism? So with whom 'blow back terrorism' will be no risk?
    Well a quick google tells me that the group is believed to have Al-Qaeda operatives in their command structure........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Well a quick google tells me that the group is believed to have Al-Qaeda operatives in their command structure........
    Who? If you refer to Abu khalid as suri then he is dead. And if what you say is true why are these openly known AQ operatives fighting in Ahraar Ash Shaam and not Jahbat An Nusra which is AQ in Syria?

Ahraar Ash Sham is a part of Jahbatal Islamiyyah in which certain key members have slammed AQ.

And still, Ahraar are known of no crimes to date afiak.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly are the UK government going to put an expert team forward to separate who really is from the group or isn't? If they had some type off exemption there is no doubt from fighters from the actual terrorist groups will use their name to regain entry into the UK.

Can't say, none of them is the safest bet, however.

That's a problem we shouldn't give ourselves. With the way the situation there has developed recently, it's really difficult to tell who is going for what cause. If it was before Islamist groups touched down in the fashion they have then there was a good chance they really were just going to fight the regime and nothing else.

Just not a problem we should give ourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    How exactly are the UK government going to put an expert team forward to separate who really is from the group or isn't? If they had some type off exemption there is no doubt from fighters from the actual terrorist groups will use their name to regain entry into the UK.

Can't say, none of them is the safest bet, however.

That's a problem we shouldn't give ourselves. With the way the situation there has developed recently, it's really difficult to tell who is going for what cause. If it was before Islamist groups touched down in the fashion they have then there was a good chance they really were just going to fight the regime and nothing else.

Just not a problem we should give ourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sure a think tank can work something out. Its better to judge fairly and be correct rather than persecute anyone who returns as we know that the uk govt. is already doing to aid workers families. ref. channel 4 syrian aud worker interview.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a think tank can work something out. Its better to judge fairly and be correct rather than persecute anyone who returns as we know that the uk govt. is already doing to aid workers families. ref. channel 4 syrian aud worker interview.
    I think of the inevitable few that'll slip through and be responsible for the death of many, many people.

The government must be incompetent if they can't manage to tell the difference between fighters/facilitators of any sort and aid workers. Aid workers should be diligent in this regard and try their best to keep proof or gather it off what they're doing while abroad but I imagine it's not easy.

Christ, putting a think tank together in any time in this country would take its time, especially on an issue like this which will have a lot of opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    I think of the inevitable few that'll slip through and be responsible for the death of many, many people.

The government must be incompetent if they can't manage to tell the difference between fighters/facilitators of any sort and aid workers. Aid workers should be diligent in this regard and try their best to keep proof or gather it off what they're doing while abroad but I imagine it's not easy.

Christ, putting a think tank together in any time in this country would take its time, especially on an issue like this which will have a lot of opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really believe that people will slip through if they do their job right.

Thats the thing. When it comes to most thing ME related they are.

Couldn't everything you said about ppl going to fight in moderate grps and returning be applied to aid workers too?

Time for justice? I'll take that.

ReputationRep:
    Who? If you refer to Abu khalid as suri then he is dead. And if what you say is true why are these openly known AQ operatives fighting in Ahraar Ash Shaam and not Jahbat An Nusra which is AQ in Syria?

Ahraar Ash Sham is a part of Jahbatal Islamiyyah in which certain key members have slammed AQ.

And still, Ahraar are known of no crimes to date afiak.
    I imagine it's because AQ want as much influence as they can get in the area. If Abu khalid as suri was an AQ operative then clearly there being an officially affiliated group in the area doesn't mean that there can be no AQ in other groups.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...r_zawahiri.php
    http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...from_zawah.php
    http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-ahrar-al-sham

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's because AQ want as much influence as they can get in the area. If Abu khalid as suri was an AQ operative then clearly there being an officially affiliated group in the area doesn't mean that there can be no AQ in other groups.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...r_zawahiri.php
    http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...from_zawah.php
    http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-ahrar-al-sham
    You said 'operatives' not 'operative' any others?

Or it could mean that Abu Khalid didn't see it fit to rejoin join AQ for whatever reason.

Those articles seem to only mention Abu khalid in the connections with AQ (i skimmed them so may have missed a bit). And he is dead now.

Also refer to what i said previously about Jahbatal Islamiyyah.

And not that the long war journal keeps stating that 'Ahraar fought alongside JaN.' Hell. Nearly everyone who has a teeny bit of islamist in them fights with JaN. FSA even fought alongside in JaN back at the end of last year.

Also look at the legislation of Jahbatal Islamiyyah and their Revolutionary Covenant which was even slammed by some JaN officials showing their differences in methodology and their other stuff.

Tbh before we can have a proper discussion on this a proper image of Ahraar has to be built up.

And i use And and Also too much. Forgive me for not structuring properly. On phone.

ReputationRep:
    You said 'operatives' not 'operative' any others?

Or it could mean that Abu Khalid didn't see it fit to rejoin join AQ for whatever reason.

Those articles seem to only mention Abu khalid in the connections with AQ (i skimmed them so may have missed a bit). And he is dead now.

Also refer to what i said previously about Jahbatal Islamiyyah.

And not that the long war journal keeps stating that 'Ahraar fought alongside JaN.' Hell. Nearly everyone who has a teeny bit of islamist in them fights with JaN. FSA even fought alongside in JaN back at the end of last year.

Also look at the legislation of Jahbatal Islamiyyah and their Revolutionary Covenant which was even slammed by some JaN officials showing their differences in methodology and their other stuff.

Tbh before we can have a proper discussion on this a proper image of Ahraar has to be built up.

And i use And and Also too much. Forgive me for not structuring properly. On phone.
    The articles quotes U.S. officials on there being other AQ operatives in the group but they are not named.

Your point about JaN also raises another issue, even if people go to fight for the most well intentioned group who try to conduct themselves properly and dont have an extremist agenda, they will be fighting along side people and groups who dont abide by the same standards.

ReputationRep:
    The articles quote U.S. officials on their being other AQ operatives in the group but they are not named.

Your point about JaN also raises another issue, even if people go to fight for the most well intentioned group who try to conduct themselves properly and dont have an extremist agenda, they will be fighting along side people and groups who dont abide by the same standards.
    I c. Too sketchy for us 2 discuss more than what i've said about learning the methodology of Ahraar and JI then.

Hey, thats war. In nearly every war with multiple groups opposing each other that will probs be the case. But tbh i don't think i really want to discuss that online.

also plz remember we are probs approaching this from 2 very different points of view.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really believe that people will slip through if they do their job right.

Thats the thing. When it comes to most thing ME related they are.

Couldn't everything you said about ppl going to fight in moderate grps and returning be applied to aid workers too?

Time for justice? I'll take that.
    This is where we have a problem because some will slip through, it's inevitable. You can account for error, but error here is fatal. Fatal for possibly large numbers of people. Maybe the situation could have been different if Al Baghdadi (I find it odd to call him Caliph) was never released.

Not what what you mean lol

No.

No, you don't have time. What happens if they return and this think tank is months away (maybe longer) from being set up and operational? Do you just keep them in detention centres for that time, send them back or just let them live in the country while things are being worked? It just seems unpractical.

I'm trying to think of the greater good, in the end you can't have it all your way. I'd love for the moderate fighters to be able to come back as they're honestly brave people even if I disagree with fighting in another country's civil war. But the risk is too great, in my opinion.

Edit: this is not because it's Islamic either, I'd say the same for any cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rm-police.html

I applaud these boys parents. They took the correct course of action one should take. Just goes to show that contrary to the bigots opinions, there are good and honest Muslims out there who will take a stand against terrorism, even if the terrorists are their own children.
    gotta say im a bigot in this area. not gonna lie.
    but wow this has really made me rethink things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.