Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

sxith form or college watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 16 and studying A Levels. I just finished my year 12 exams and immediately started year 13 subjects, however they will start properly in September. I'm studying English Literature, Religious Studies, Psychology and BTEC ICT. I'm also the youngest in the year, if born 1/2 days later I would have to be in the year below.

The thing is, I absolutely hate my sixth form. since December time I wanted to drop out but my mother wouldn't let me. Now she said she doesn't mind lol. I feel so miserable and depressed at my 6form and it has 100 percent impacted my motivation to learn and ultimately my grades. This is because of poor interpersonal conflicts and I loathe the school, teachers, atmosphere and the people there. loads of stuff happened which I cba going into. the thing is, I wanna resit the year, pic different subjects and start fresh so I can achieve what I know I'm capable of achieving.

I can't resit at another sixth form cos the deadline was months ago however on results day I may be able to slip into another sixth form, a few people from other schools redid year 12 because of poor grades but this is unlikely to happen. I cant depend on luck.

therefore I wana go to college. the college in my town (Bradford college) is so crap and people avoid going there because only muck abouts go there, and they don't offer much courses. therefore I wana go to leeds city college. according to google maps its approx 40 mintues distance and this includes walking to the train station, traveling by train there and walking to the college. is this too long and do you think it's worth the distance? also train tickets per week there and back are 18 pounds. is this a lot? my parents probably wont be able to afford this, so what should I do? also what is leeds city college like? recently iv been lacking confidence and feel kinda socially awkward, I wernt always like this, my current sixth form did this to me. what are people at college like? will they all be older than me? considering the distance will I be able to manage my studies too? I wana study English lit, history, art and photography there. will this be too much with the travelling? give me some advice pls. cant believe im having to ask on this lol and soz for spelling mistakes etc im in a rush. peace

ReputationRep:
    I would most definitely change sixth forms and re-do your AS Levels. Start a fresh. Can you not get a bus to Leeds? This would be a lot cheaper. Also, if you really want to go there but you're worrying about the money then you can contact them and speak about a GSB (guaranteed student bursary) or LSF (learner support fund) or anything else which is available there. If you aren't suitable for anything like this then you could consider going to a closer college or sixth form. You really should go about doing this soon. Chances are, you may well be accepted into a college to start this year if you tell them your consequence.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You seem to have very negative perceptions about Bradford College which I hope I can change for you.

I'm sorry you have had such a negative experience at your current Sixth Form, there is no harm or shame in dropping out and starting a fresh. Your positive attitude to want to succeed is very refreshing and is just what we look for in our students at Bradford College.

We have the same behaviour expectations as a school would, if students are disruptive we take the necessary steps to remove them from the course to make sure our other pupils' education isn't at risk. So if disruptive or negative behaviour is something you have heard happens here, I can assure you we are just like other sixth forms when it comes to disciplinary actions. Our staff are very experienced in their subjects and are here to help students who really want to succeed in life.

Our college is currently undergoing many redevelopments to transform the education and the future careers of our students. In September 2014 a brand new state of the art building, the David Hockney building is opening. This building is very modern and offers all of the latest facilities you would need for your course such as new computers, televisions, camera equipment etc. In addition, building work has now started on a new Advanced Technology Centre which is due to open in September 2015.

We would love to invite you to our Fun Open Day on Saturday 21st August, at the open day you will get to see the wide range of courses we have on offer, meet tutors and get some advice on the courses you want to take. Come and see us just so you can weigh up your options.
    For more information follow us on Twitter @bradfordcollege Facebook: Bradford College Snapchat: bradfordcollege

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.