Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here got any experience with extenuating circumstances?

Possible Trigger

I'm in my final year at university, just received my marks back and oops. This is going to sound like an excuse - heck, at this point it probably is. I scraped through everything with a 2:1 except my dissertation, of which came back at 36%, the proposal was fine - 62%, everything was fine until a few months ago when my younger brother tried to kill himself and it sent me into all sorts of shock/denial/anxiety problems. On one occassion I had to stay up until 6am after he'd overdosed and had uni the next day at 9. For some reason my parents were in denial about it, but after my uncle killed himself 4 years ago I didn't want to take any risks. The ground work for my other modules were pretty much done at the point, it was mostly group work - and luckily my groups were great and arguably carried my work.

After my life story... I'm just wondering is this grounds on filing for extenuating circumstances or should I just "man up" and except I failed to keep on top of everything? - What evidence could I even give? Do you think they'll see it as an excuse? My brother could probably get GP notes for his depression and he now sees a counceller but how would that prove it affected me? I had no time to see anyone/didn't think anyone would care tbh. (I called the samaritians and they just repeatedly asked "and how does that make you feel?" :confused:

Believe me no one is more ashamed of this than I am, I still haven't told my parents... I could just resit and get capped at 40% - I'd then graduate with a 2:2 so I know it's not the end of the world...

Anywho, thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of - of course you're going to be affected by something that massive! :console:

I'd definitely claim mitigating circumstances - if they don't think you merit them, the uni simply won't give you them. I'd be surprised if they didn't though, as unis are generally pretty understanding about mental health issues, even if they're sort of 'by proxy' in your case.

First step I'd take is contacting your personal tutor/equivalent, and laying out the situation as you've done here. Ask what the procedure is for claiming mitigating circumstances (at my uni it's an online form, but you hand in physical evidence), and what the best form of evidence would be in your case.

And try not to worry too much - sounds like you've got enough on your plate! Good luck to you and your brother, and I hope that you get to redo your dissertation as a first attempt.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Superwolf I didn't know who my personal tutor was so I emailed the nicest one I could think of haha. He rang me earlier and agreed I should at least apply. So hopefully I can find some sort of evidence and get it sorted by next week.

I think the worst thing about all this is the fact it was all out of my control and yet I still have no one but myself to blame!

Thank you for your help and kind words, very much so appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.