Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal for girlfriends to slowly a become more vocal or opinionated? Watch

My girlfriend has slowly started to become more vocal about me...more so than she used to do. She would never have a great deal to say...even when I insisted she tell me.

Recently for example, she had made comments about my hair, telling me it was getting long and that it needed cutting. A few weeks back I went to visit her...she never mentioned it to me back then, however, she told me she had thought it.

This sort of annoyed me, not that it's such a big deal, but more the fact she had an opinion on something so small as my hair. However, turning it on it's head, doesn't this mean she cares if she makes note of such things?

She has been dropping hints every so often telling me it's very long, and then commented "oh finally, about time" when I insisted I was getting it cut.

Now I have it cut, I got a message from her telling me she "hopes I haven't had I cut too short" I mean it's not the worst comment ever, and it didn't exactly get me so angry, but it was slightly irritating. I guess there is a sense that she cares in the comments, or she may well have said it to be lighthearted, but at the same time I'll get my hair cut how I want. Similarly I will wear what I wish and groom myself however I want. Sure she has an opinion which I value.

This is the first time this has happened, my ex started off similarly, and eventually I wasn't allowed to do anything, without disapproval or anything I liked she hated. I grew sick of it.

I just hope it won't be the same here...there is a sort of flattery in it, in the sense she cares...but if this sort of thing was to happen 24/7 I would quickly tire of it. I'm a man, who has his own decisions to make and I decide what I want to do.

Similar things have happened with regard to when I grow my facial hair...she's said she had thought that sometimes I needed a shave, and it irritates her sometimes if we kiss.

Any advice? What's other guys experience of this?

To add:

My girlfriend replied that my hair was shorter than expected but it will do...which I'm not sure how to decipher.

I don't know If it sounds like she's been unappreciative of it, or whether she just doesn't like it. I don't know I just don't want her to slowly start making negative remarks about everything about me. Surely if this happens it means she isn't the one, if she is to indirectly/directly criticise things about me?

ReputationRep:
    "I love you, but i think i know when to get my hair done. Whilst we are at it, i will shave if it gives you irritation but you only need to tell me once".

Done

ReputationRep:
    It's not really an unreasonable comment, likely lighthearted and unless she says 'ew your hair looks gross' or 'go cut it now' I wouldn't worry too much. Re facial hair and irritation when kidding, that's a very real problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To add:

My girlfriend replied that my hair was shorter than expected but it will do...which I'm not sure how to decipher.

I don't know If it sounds like she's been unappreciative of it, or whether she just doesn't like it. I don't know I just don't want her to slowly start making negative remarks about everything about me. Surely if this happens it means she isn't the one, if she is to indirectly/directly criticise things about me?
    ignore her.
    you will learn as you get older. that you can never make women happy.
    just do your own thing.

some women. when they think you are weak. try to act like a nagging mother. if you let her. she will walk all over you. ignore the submission to girl crap that you can trust her with your heart.

you cant. shes a girl. a child and will avoid responsibility for anything.
    so do not give her anything to be responsible for.
    you are responsible for your self.
    she new how you were when she got with you.
    if she dont like it now she can go and find someone else.

remember.
    at your age. relationships should be fun.
    ask your self this... "do i feel like i'm having a break/time out with this person"
    relationships at your age SHOULD NOT FEEL LIKE WORK.
    your a man. your suppose to make money and be responsible and powerful.
    focus on bettering your self.
    if she likes you and wants to tag a long for the ride so be it.
    but if she dont like the ride she can hop off.
    you will find another. your going places.
    do not share your weaknesses with her. she will want to know about them.
    its a trap. dont.
    throw her a bone and give her a test weakness and wait a couple months and see if tries to exploit it and manipulate you by poking a nerve on it. if she does never tell her a thing.
    sounds like being a ****?
    sure is.
    and guess what.
    GIRLS LOVE DICKS.

alot of girls date soft guys to build their confidence up cause their too intimidated for dicky alpha male types.

but remember their trying to use you as a stepping stone if your soft.
    DONT HAVE IT FAM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fojodef)
    ignore her.
    you will learn as you get older. that you can never make women happy.
    just do your own thing.

some women. when they think you are weak. try to act like a nagging mother. if you let her. she will walk all over you. ignore the submission to girl crap that you can trust her with your heart.

you cant. shes a girl. a child and will avoid responsibility for anything.
    so do not give her anything to be responsible for.
    you are responsible for your self.
    she new how you were when she got with you.
    if she dont like it now she can go and find someone else.

remember.
    at your age. relationships should be fun.
    ask your self this... "do i feel like i'm having a break/time out with this person"
    relationships at your age SHOULD NOT FEEL LIKE WORK.
    your a man. your suppose to make money and be responsible and powerful.
    focus on bettering your self.
    if she likes you and wants to tag a long for the ride so be it.
    but if she dont like the ride she can hop off.
    you will find another. your going places.
    do not share your weaknesses with her. she will want to know about them.
    its a trap. dont.
    throw her a bone and give her a test weakness and wait a couple months and see if tries to exploit it and manipulate you by poking a nerve on it. if she does never tell her a thing.
    sounds like being a ****?
    sure is.
    and guess what.
    GIRLS LOVE DICKS.

alot of girls date soft guys to build their confidence up cause their too intimidated for dicky alpha male types.

but remember their trying to use you as a stepping stone if your soft.
    DONT HAVE IT FAM.
    Wow.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.