Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

25 year old guy with a 19 year old girl, acceptable, can it work ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok in your honest opinions can a guy who has just turned 25 have a relationship with a girl of 19 ( very nearly 20) . Is there any serious stigma here , or is it not too far from normality . It is a situation i find myself on the brink of and would like to know how family and friends may react?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I'm 24 and would date a 19 yo if she was mature enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    No it's perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and dating a 17 year old and I don't feel any stigma with that. Once someone is 18 I don't think there is an issue of too old so I personally think your fine.

ReputationRep:
    Nah that's not weird. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly fine as long as it's a healthy relationship. I never got into a serious relationship, but I once dated a guy who was 25 and I'm 18. I'm quite mature for my age so there was never an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to worry about OP, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    good to hear so far. I know as you get even oler it will matter less and less but i think initially i may feel worried about the reaction of my mates etc . It is fairly hypothetical as have only been on a few dates but is a possibility. She is definitely fairly mature , and i am pretty normal for a gy in his twenties. Any opinions from the girls?

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's legal and neither is in a position of power i.e teacher and student, then I think the age gap is fine. It is legal and I assume neither of you teach the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunesfool)
    As long as it's legal and neither is in a position of power i.e teacher and student, then I think the age gap is fine. It is legal and I assume neither of you teach the other.

lol no both students

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that age gap.
    I dated a 27 year old when I was 19 and it was fine. The only thing was - I wanted to go out and do stuff whereas he had already done it all in his student days, so we eventually broke up because of that. He was ready to settle down and I really wasnt! But as long as you both want the same stuff, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it, it's definitely not the biggest age gap!
    I was with a 24 year old when I'd just turned 19 (who turned out to be more immature than me!) and it was never really a problem, I had comments off a couple of people, but whatever. As for what anyone else thinks, does it really matter?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem in it, my boyfriend is 23 I'm 26 not a big age gap but there's one there. If you two are happy, doesn't matter what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! The age gap is damn big!! Please save yourself!! You're ruining your life!!

(Sarcasm Level 7)

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel, big age gaps are more accepted in people in 30's/40's so why can't age gaps be acceptable now. At the end of the day if the girl is mature and you both make each other happy then why listen to what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee342)
    Nothing wrong with it, it's definitely not the biggest age gap!
    I was with a 24 year old when I'd just turned 19 (who turned out to be more immature than me!) and it was never really a problem, I had comments off a couple of people, but whatever. As for what anyone else thinks, does it really matter?
    what about a 25 yr old gurl and a 19 yr old guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    what about a 25 yr old gurl and a 19 yr old guy
    I'm gonna stick by what I said before because I don't think it's gender specific!
    If you're both adults and you're happy then I don't think there's a problem, I don't see a six year age gap as a big deal either way. I personally don't think I'd date a guy a few years younger than me, but if someone else wants to then that's fine. If a 25 year old woman meets a guy who's 19 who she likes and whatever, I don't think other people's opinions matter.

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem. I was 17 when I met my 29 (nearly 30) year old boyfriend and we're still very happy together over three years later.

Stigma hasn't been an issue because we have intelligent, sensible family and friends

ReputationRep:
    I think it's perfectly acceptable most 19 year old females are mature anyway

Nightworld1066

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.