Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Church of Cthulhu (H.P Lovecraft Appreciation Society) Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Church of Cthulhu
    The H.P Lovecraft Appreciation Soceity

H.P Lovecraft is considered by many to be the founding father of modern horror a man who's body of work while small is responsible for laying the foundation for generations of writers, cinematographers, artists and creators after him.

A deeply troubled man he wrote almost exclusively short story's which were featured in primarily pulp magazines, like many great visionaries he went largely unnoticed and unapplauded during his lifetime being more noted for his prolific letter writing as opposed to his fiction Lovecraft's biographer L. Sprague de Camp estimates that Lovecraft wrote 100,000 letters in his lifetime, a fifth of which are believed to survive.

He is perhaps most well known for the Cthluhu mythos which is comprised of loosely connected short stories mainly the 1928 short "The Call of Cthluhu" dealing with the topics of a old and powerful race of God's primarilly Cthulhu who lays dormants beneath the ocean , his eventualy waking heralding the destruction of the world.

These and other works went on to gain such popularity and fandom that it has even become held by some that they were in fact not fiction at all but rather factual accounts that Lovecraft had become privy to and should instead be taken as warnings and guides and the deity's objects, and creatures within them to be understood as literal events and prophecies.

His works have gone on to inspire everything from other authors such as Stephen King through to Movies, Card Games, Plushies, Artwork and Dungeons and Dragons Campaigns.

This is at the core of it is a society that I expect will be very niche in it's audience but it exists as a discussion point for all people who appreciate the man, his works and his legacy whether you enjoy a good read or truly believe that soon the dreamer will awaken.

Join the Society Here

(Over the coming days/weeks I will be adding a collection of links regarding his bibliography/biography's and artwork related to his concepts)

ReputationRep:
    I have been meaning to read The Call of Cthluhu for a long time. I've read a lot of authors who have said they've been influenced by Lovecraft, so I'm interested in reading his work. None of my friends have read anything by him though, he seems to be quite niche.

I will be stalking this thread though, glad you made it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    I have been meaning to read The Call of Cthluhu for a long time. I've read a lot of authors who have said they've been influenced by Lovecraft, so I'm interested in reading his work. None of my friends have read anything by him though, he seems to be quite niche.

I will be stalking this thread though, glad you made it.
    Thank you, please feel free to join the Society.

I would recommend buying the recent "Necronomicon" collection of his best short stories, it includes The Call and many other fantastic works.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.