Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifting means you can't grow taller? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hear this a lot, and it doesn't help that all my friends who say it's BS are shorter than me (i'm not tall either only 5 ft 8) And I don't want to "stunt" my growth.
    Most people that also deny lifting means you wont grow to your potential height, always quote Arnold Schwarzenegger, but that guy took a **** load of steroids and growth supplements and is only 1 person out of 7 billion.

I am currently eating right, and stretching and getting 9 hours of sleep (give or take I wake up to take a piss) but I go back to sleep soon after.

Can someone reassure me lifting weights wont stunt my growth, since it's really worrying me.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It won't. You are genetically a manlet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    It won't. You are genetically a manlet.
    Genetics wise, my grandads brother was 6ft+ so I could have a chance :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Height is due to genetics and nutrition. If lifting stunted growth, then the NFL would be full of manlets, because those guys lift from like the age of 14 to build size, strength and power.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It won't stunt you

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you know what I mean though, you have seen those tiny guys who are huge muscle wise and it kind of puts me off
    Any anecdotal evidence of people you know who were my height and still grew whilst lifting?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Thanks, you know what I mean though, you have seen those tiny guys who are huge muscle wise and it kind of puts me off
    Any anecdotal evidence of people you know who were my height and still grew whilst lifting?
    How old are you? If you're still young (16ish or less), you might have a couple more inches in you

90% of height is genetic and 10% is environmental. Of that environmental 10%, it's mainly down to getting enough food. Remember that if you start lifting, that will use up a lot of calories so you'd need to eat more to get closer to your max potential height.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    How old are you? If you're still young (16ish or less), you might have a couple more inches in you

90% of height is genetic and 10% is environmental. Of that environmental 10%, it's mainly down to getting enough food. Remember that if you start lifting, that will use up a lot of calories so you'd need to eat more to get closer to your max potential height.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Michael Jordan grew when he was 21, so I don't believe the 16 bit, im 18
    :lol: really? I'm skinny as it is. What do you recommend eating?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Michael Jordan grew when he was 21, so I don't believe the 16 bit, im 18
    :lol: really? I'm skinny as it is. What do you recommend eating?
    There's no hard and fast rule, but little or no growth occurs in men after 18. Again depends on your genetics, but don't expect to become much taller in the next 2-3 years.

It depends on your goals, if you want to add muscle mass then you need a calorific surplus and your diet should include enough protein - around 1 to 1.5 g per kg of body mass. Just google something along the lines of "calorie intake to gain muscle" and there's loads of calculators that'll tell you how many calories to consume every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.