Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I've found the laptop I want but it weighs 2.5kg (I believe that is a bit of a weight?)

So basically, do many people use laptops in lectures/seminars? I don't want to be lugging around something heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)
    I think I've found the laptop I want but it weighs 2.5kg (I believe that is a bit of a weight?)

So basically, do many people use laptops in lectures/seminars? I don't want to be lugging around something heavy.
    I usually see a couple of people with laptops, but mainly people use things like ipads to have their notes in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni, it is rare to even see a laptop in a lecture. Normally it is your standard pen and paper. I have never ever seen an iPad used or any sort of tablet.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've never had to take my laptop to the uni library apart from the one time.

As far as lectures are concerned, I stick to the conventional pen and notepad, even though it can be a little slower than typing, it just involves less weight to carry around

I have however seen people with ipad mini's in lectures typing notes.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right okay thanks everyone for the comments as I was wondering whether to compromise and go for something smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)
    Ah right okay thanks everyone for the comments as I was wondering whether to compromise and go for something smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile
    when you say you found a laptop, do you mean as in that will be used in your uni room as a 'computer' or will you be using a seperate computer in your room?

I just had the laptop in my room and that was it. I did take it to my friends flat to finish some coursework so I had to unplug the power cables and brought that along too which wasn't too heavy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    when you say you found a laptop, do you mean as in that will be used in your uni room as a 'computer' or will you be using a seperate computer in your room?

I just had the laptop in my room and that was it. I did take it to my friends flat to finish some coursework so I had to unplug the power cables and brought that along too which wasn't too heavy
    Yeah, I mean a laptop to use both in the room and possibly outside - although I realise now that I won't need to necessarily take it outside my room anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After a couple of weeks at university I never bothered to take my laptop to lectures. It's far easier to take notes using pen & paper and you're far less likely to get distracted by facebook/twitter.

ReputationRep:
    For most of my course I never needed to take my laptop into uni; I don't think I've ever seen anyone using one in a lecture. We did have some labs in second year where we needed our laptops-but we couldn't all connect to the network in order to do the task so in the end we did it at home anyway.

Final year though when I was doing my final year project, I needed to take it in to work on stuff whilst I was waiting for things to happen with my lab work. Some things would take an hour or even 3-4 hours before I could move onto the next step, and it just wasn't always practical to nip off to a computer room (plus the office space in the lab had tea and coffee and often cake on hand! As well as being able to pick the phd students brains and being quieter than the library). Having a rather large laptop, I have to say it was a total pain. I only took it in a few times and then I dug out an old smaller one I had lying around (even though I could do less with it and couldn't connect to the internet with it-had to look at stuff with my phone, save it and transfer it via the SD card onto the computer).

I'm in the process of replacing my big laptop (had it since beginning of uni and it's dying...) and I've gone for a smaller laptop with an 11.6inch screen. I don't need a big screen when I'm using it elsewhere anyway, and if I do want a bigger screen at home there's always the option of getting an additional monitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)

at my uni some do but ive never had a problem just using pen & paper. And when I've wanted to work on campus I've not had a problem getting a library pc.

ReputationRep:
    I only took in my laptop once in the three years I was there and that was to do some work before the library opened. I used to just use pen and paper for notes as did most people in my class although the odd person would use an iPad/tablet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.