Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's so easy to wire money to a bank account Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't there anyone going about stealing virtual money when it is very easy to enter a 7 digit number and wire it to your bank account. All my wealth is summed up with this number I may have in an offshore bank account like Switzerland, but I wonder how difficult would it be to steal virtual money?

Say for example, if I was a teller at a bank and I entered the number 12,000,000 next to your name, you would then become a millionaire but obviously this money can be traced back to the teller, but what if it was wired through so many accounts, and then withdrawn in small amounts from many different banks.

Or what if there was some kind of power failure, or virus which erased all customer banking data on these bank's system for like 1 minute. This would be time to steal the money and wire to another account without the system tracing the information.

Is it impossible to steal virtual money?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    All you need is an eye-patch and a cat and Daniel Craig would be coming straight at you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.