Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting Uni-Muslim and Freshers...!!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    being a muslim and starting university in septermber im wondering how freshers really is,i know it depends on what university your actually attending and every experience varies,but can someone ,preferable a current muslim student(but all welcome),ellaborae more on how you got along with people,im not that shy and neither am i socially awkward but being a muslim you can understand im not going to be taking part in "drinking games"or neither am i going to get drunk.how was you experience and how did u "survive".

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate,

I know quite a few 'freshers' who have never touched a drop of drink, You can get on with other flat mates without drinking, my mate just joins in with the drinking games but with a soft drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesC1994)
    Hi mate,

I know quite a few 'freshers' who have never touched a drop of drink, You can get on with other flat mates without drinking, my mate just joins in with the drinking games but with a soft drink.

oh right yeah that makes sense, Cheers Bro,appreciate the reply.
    what year of uni are you in if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my second year mate, what uni you going too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesC1994)
    I'm going into my second year mate, what uni you going too?
    Most likely KCL to do Biomed lool (failed med applicant here-all out of hopes, and dreams smashed).What course do you do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsg100)
    Most likely KCL to do Biomed lool (failed med applicant here-all out of hopes, and dreams smashed).What course do you do??
    Omg this is so weird :O I'm worried about this exact thing and making the right friends ect... Then you said your most likely going KCL which is where I'm going xD!! I'm presuming you've started Uni - any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsg100)
    being a muslim and starting university in septermber im wondering how freshers really is,i know it depends on what university your actually attending and every experience varies,but can someone ,preferable a current muslim student(but all welcome),ellaborae more on how you got along with people,im not that shy and neither am i socially awkward but being a muslim you can understand im not going to be taking part in "drinking games"or neither am i going to get drunk.how was you experience and how did u "survive".
    I've just finished university and I remember thinking the same thing. In the end, it was totally fine. There's a range of activities available, so you just go to the one that suits you. I went to Newman and they try to hold activities for a range of students, including those who don't drink and mature students with children etc.

Feel free to ask me anything

T.

ReputationRep:
    I think that joining in drinking games but have something non alcoholic in your glass or bottle is the best solution. It shows that you're not anti social and you'll be respected more than if you don't join in at all. Same with nights out, go out with your flatmates or friends from your course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.