The Student Room Group

Should benefits be only available for over 25s?

I was reading this article from the daily mail and one of the comments caught my eye. The person suggested that under 25s shouldn't get any benefits. Do you agree or not? Why?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2683485/I-dont-care-people-say-Anyone-look-baby-Meet-unemployed-teenage-mother-says-plans-raise-child-benefits.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One way for the Tories to starve all the lazy layabout DWP scroungers who spend all day watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking Kestral.
Reply 3
Original post by Moosferatu
One way for the Tories to starve all the lazy layabout DWP scroungers who spend all day watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking Kestral.

But it would affect those who have paid into the system and down on their luck (under 25s)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
But it would affect those who have paid into the system and down on their luck (under 25s)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does not compute. The only people who end up on benefits to the criminals at the top and their flocks of sheep are the feckless and layabouts.

"I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old".
I would move it to 21 to stop those scummy mummy's
Reply 6
No because you are an adult at 18 and could fully well have your own house etc before then.... sometimes people need help - no need to hate them.

I think what would work better (relating to people's comments about young mums) would be only getting help like that for your first child, if you have anymore then you don't get it all again. Something like that.

I think people need to realise that sometimes things happen but I do agree some people take the mickey.

Plus young people already gret screwed over - lower pay for the same job as someone older yet they could have the same responsibilities.. its really not fair. Once you're an adult, you're an adult - it should be equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Moosferatu
Does not compute. The only people who end up on benefits to the criminals at the top and their flocks of sheep are the feckless and layabouts.

"I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old".

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I was reading this article from the daily mail and one of the comments caught my eye. The person suggested that under 25s shouldn't get any benefits. Do you agree or not? Why?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2683485/I-dont-care-people-say-Anyone-look-baby-Meet-unemployed-teenage-mother-says-plans-raise-child-benefits.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should under 25s be expected to pay full taxes and yet unable to claim from them? Seems very unfair to me.
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Why should under 25s be expected to pay full taxes and yet unable to claim from them? Seems very unfair to me.

Exactly. Apparently it would stop young people having babies to get benefits. But it would also affect those who paid taxes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Exactly. Apparently it would stop young people having babies to get benefits. But it would also affect those who paid taxes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit of a large hammer to crack a small nut.
Yeah sure. Lets go back to the days of kids chucked out of their houses at 16 left to starve on the streets. Great idea. :confused:
Basing who should and should not get benefits on sensationalised anecdotal stories from the tabloids is not a rational thing to do.
Original post by Obiejess
Yeah sure. Lets go back to the days of kids chucked out of their houses at 16 left to starve on the streets. Great idea. :confused:

As long as it stops teen pregnancy it's all good apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Basing who should and should not get benefits on sensationalised anecdotal stories from the tabloids is not a rational thing to do.

It's just for discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't read the article but of course not. At 18 you're an adult and should be treated like one. So fed up of having to live off my parent's money because the government expects them to fund me. This would make things even worse. Why punish the young when it's not us that's ****ed up the economy? If under 25s are to be treated like children I expect my parents to receive child benefit - whether I live with them or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But under 25s would still have kids but either they'd all freeze and starve or all the babies would be taken into care which costs more anyway.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
But under 25s would still have kids but either they'd all freeze and starve or all the babies would be taken into care which costs more anyway.

Is that logic I hear? Blasphemy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
What about the older people who have babies to get benefits?? People don't suddenly stop scrounging at 25!!

I hope this excluded disability benefits!?!

HOWEVER... Maybe there should be more stringent tests for who can get benefits including job seekers. But who will pay for this??? And less benefits will lead to more crime...

We shouldn't have got into this situation where people expect to live off he state, but now we're here, it'll be hard to get away from it!!
Original post by SmallTownGirl

Somehow it's supposed to teach under 25s not to have kids.

I don't think it's fair as there are under 25s who have kids and have been working for years but lost jobs. Somehow because they're young they shouldn't be able to claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending