The Student Room Group

What can I do with the wrong Undergraduate degree?

I'm going into my third year of a Linguistics and English Language BA, with a 1st for my second year grades so far (I'm still awaiting exam results!) but I want to do a postgraduate course in International Relations or Public Policy. I've been looking at studying in Canada but all of the courses which I am interested in (such as political science or public policy) ask for a previous study of political science. I want to study abroad, just because I want to experience learning outside of the UK but I'm starting to wonder whether I'll be accepted anywhere for the field I'm interested in without a degree in politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem you have is that you have no experience/training in social science. This means it will be difficult to secure a place and probably impossible to get funding without it. One solution to this is the Politics certificate course offered by SOAS (Uni of London) - this is designed for people in your position. But you will have to fund it yourself. A good result (along with some relevant vacation/part-time work experience) would mean you were eligible for realistic consideration for a Masters place - and possibly funding, but bear in mind that all Humanities/Soc Sci funding is in very short supply - even those with the 'right' degree will probably miss out. The SOAS course : http://www.soas.ac.uk/politics/programmes/certificate-in-political-studies/
Maybe a Postgraduate diploma? Or try to get into some additional courses? Or work in the sector and then move step by step in the politics direction? Wether as longterm solution or way to get experience counting in your favour?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending