Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am hoping to study physics or natural sciences for a 2015 entry, and so was looking to do some wider reading over the holidays.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books to read over this period. I was looking particularly at elements not in the a-level specification (eg Chaos theory) or looking at ideas in a more fundamental, or applied setting. However if anyone has any suggestions for books on maths, chemistry or computer science, as well as physics I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixTheKat)
    Hello,

I am hoping to study physics or natural sciences for a 2015 entry, and so was looking to do some wider reading over the holidays.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books to read over this period. I was looking particularly at elements not in the a-level specification (eg Chaos theory) or looking at ideas in a more fundamental, or applied setting. However if anyone has any suggestions for books on maths, chemistry or computer science, as well as physics I'd be very grateful.

Thank you
    Are you hoping for more of a pop-sci selection to keep the brain ticking over or first year undergrad text books to start the work early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Are you hoping for more of a pop-sci selection to keep the brain ticking over or first year undergrad text books to start the work early?
    I was looking for the kind of books which might look good mentioned in a personal statement. So probably books which don't look at it from the perspective of a curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking for the kind of books which might look good mentioned in a personal statement. So probably books which don't look at it from the perspective of a curriculum.
    a couple of my favourites are...

QED - Richard Feynman
    Does god play dice? - Ian Stewart

tbh you'll probably enjoy reading any book by feynman

ReputationRep:
    I liked John Gribbin's books when I was doing A Level Physics. He's written quite a few. Brian Greene has written 3 books covering a wide range of things like string theory.

Don't buy Roger Penrose's "The Road to Reality" though. I thought it was popular science, but trust me it is not.

ReputationRep:
    Brian Greene - The Elegant Universe
    Roger Penrose - Cycles of Time, The Emperor's New Mind (not quite as maths heavy as TRTR but still pretty challenging tbh)
    Michio Kaku - Physics of the Future, Physics of the Impossible, Hyperspace, Beyond Einstein
    George Gamow - Mr Tompkins in Paperback
    Richard Feynman - Feynman Lectures, QED
    John Gribbins - In Search of Schrödinger's Cat
    James Gleick - Chaos
    Jim Al Khalili - Quantum - A Guide for the Perplexed
    Most of the 'A Very Short Introduction' books are also very good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you
    Physics
    To add to those above: (these are all books I read for the same purpose)
    Roger Penrose - don't try reading The Road to Reality (you might have more hope reading this after your degree!! though that said I really enjoyed reading the sections of this book that I could understand), I really enjoyed the Emperor's New Mind; Shadows of the Mind; The Large, the Small and the Human Mind (in brief, they argue why science will never be able to explain/emulate human consciousness, and they also cover areas of compsci as well as maths and physics) - this is what I put on my PS

Feynman - anything, 6 Easy pieces and 6 Not So Easy Pieces, The Character of Physical Law (for general interest, I enjoyed reading The Meaning of it All though maybe it's not the most ideal book for a PS)

Brian Cox - Why e=mc2; The Quantum Universe

Brian Greene - The Elegant Universe; The Hidden Reality; The Fabric of the Cosmos

Lee Smolin - Three Roads To Quantum Gravity
    -The Trouble with Physics

Personally I found James Gleick - Chaos really boring (mainly due to being overly wordy/story-telling like), but I think most people do enjoy reading it!

Chemistry
    James Keeler, Peter Wothers - Why Chemical Reactions Happen (most people recommend this upon the mention of chemistry!)

Maths
    Gowers - Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction

Ian Stewart - Seventeen Equations that Changed the World (lots of his books are interesting to read/browse through e.g. Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities but not)

Simon Singh - Fermat's Last Theorem (personally I found this boring!)
    - The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking

(Pickover - The Maths Book is interesting for general interest)

These lists may also be of use to you:
    http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/p...udents/reading
    http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und.../nat-phys.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    Physics

(Pickover - The Maths Book is interesting for general interest)
    Don't have anything really to add, but Pickover also wrote The Physics Book, which is pretty similar for general knowledge (no depth at all though).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.