Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years now and my insecurities have got worse and worse. I have such low self esteem I believe any girl my boyfriend meets is better than me and I would step back and accept him to jump into a relationship with someone else straight away. Don't get me wrong he treats me like a princess he really does but the way I feel about my self and the way I look at me makes me feel worthless. I argue with him constantly for bringing up his exes which I know is rediculous, but sometimes anything he talks about I relate to them and it causes so much upset for us both. I've had depression now for a while and my relationship gets me down the most as I'm so insecure. I don't know how to fix things. I believe my partner is my soul mate and if I can't be with him I really would choose to be in my own always. He puts up with so much crap with mood swings etc and I truly believe no one else would put up with it. I'm so grateful he's stuck by me but we really are close to the end because of my nasty ways of being mad and upset all the time of things he hasn't really done wrong. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    You need to find out why you have low self esteem, what exactly is it that makes you feel inferior and prevents you from living up to your potential which holds you back. From what you wrote, I can tell you right now that your boyfriend does not want to leave you for another girl because he truly cares for you and that is something you should be thankful for.

Stop comparing yourself or thinking about his exes, they are his exes for a reason. You are unique and are different from his exes so you can't be compared to them. You can also inform your boyfriend about your low self esteem, if anything this will let him know why these arguments take place and he will try to help you overcome these issues. The more people you have supporting you through this, the easier it is. You just have to take a positive out look on life in general, read motivational and inspirational books and watch videos, etc. No one is perfect, that's a fact, and so don't let those negative thoughts get you down, whatever they may be and if you have been criticized before, look at it as a way to improve rather than something that was said to put you down. You can turn negative situations into something positive.

The good part is that you know that you have done wrong and it's your fault that your relationship is dying. So you are now aware that you have to fix things. If you found a man that can put up with a lot of your mood swings and be there through rough times, you need to keep him because it might be quite hard to find someone like that again. All you have to do is take the first step, just one simple step, in doing something good and right. Like a nice day out together or a complement, etc, and I promise you it will flow smoothly from that point on. Be the person you would want to be with, it's really that simple, although the process might be long.

The key is to surround yourself with positivity and remove any source of negativity out of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username:)
    I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years now and my insecurities have got worse and worse. I have such low self esteem I believe any girl my boyfriend meets is better than me and I would step back and accept him to jump into a relationship with someone else straight away. Don't get me wrong he treats me like a princess he really does but the way I feel about my self and the way I look at me makes me feel worthless. I argue with him constantly for bringing up his exes which I know is rediculous, but sometimes anything he talks about I relate to them and it causes so much upset for us both. I've had depression now for a while and my relationship gets me down the most as I'm so insecure. I don't know how to fix things. I believe my partner is my soul mate and if I can't be with him I really would choose to be in my own always. He puts up with so much crap with mood swings etc and I truly believe no one else would put up with it. I'm so grateful he's stuck by me but we really are close to the end because of my nasty ways of being mad and upset all the time of things he hasn't really done wrong. Any help?
    first tell your doctor you have depression try and book some cognitive behavioural therapy. get a hobby. something you can master and be good at. like a musical instrument. something you can play one day and suck at and then the next time you give it ago notice your improvement. its good for the soul it builds confidence.

you need to pick your self up. other people wont help you. and you may find times when your being picked on and the antagoniser wont just stop because they feel sorry for you. theres some nasty people that only respect strength.

start getting fit. look at start to get fit guides.
    eat well. look into that.
    healthy mind healthy body.
    then your hobby.
    then start doing something career wise. just anything start down a path.
    keep to your therapy.
    this should all help boost your self esteem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.