Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Loved it all the way through man, one of the greatest in history? Defiently

ReputationRep:
    It's been one of the worst World Cups, mainly because England were knocked out in the group stages.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    It's been one of the worst World Cups, mainly because England were knocked out in the group stages.
    England's final placing doesn't determine whether or not the overall WC was great or not.

I think it's been one of the best, certainly from those I've seen. Had outstanding moments, controversy and two of the biggest upsets in football history. Some of the play (Granted mostly second half and extra time) has been simply stunning from both sides (Belgium - USA, Germany - Ghana spring to mind), we've had some amazing individual performances from the likes of Rodriguez, Howard, Muller, and of course a few records broken And the fact this WC is only 4 goals away from beating the all time record for goals in a single tournament.

Of course you'll get all these in the WC every year it happens, but I dunno, 2014 has been rather special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    that's why it's been so good. England are dire to watch and I couldn't be happier that they got smashed

ReputationRep:
    1999 cricket world cup in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    It's been an awesome world cup... specially because a lot of unexpected teams have been taken out in the group stage.

ReputationRep:
    once again great game today

ReputationRep:
    Had all sorts of games this one :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe5453)
    It's been an awesome world cup... specially because a lot of unexpected teams have been taken out in the group stage.
    That by definition would make the 2002 World Cup the best because of the sheer amount of shocks, France, Portugal, Argentina all going out in the group stages, Italy and Spain falling shortly after.

But its not the best and I don't think this one is either, did you see last night? Sheeesh.

ReputationRep:
    USA 94 had been my favourite World Cup, while South Africa 2010 is the worst tournament I've seen. This year's World Cup has been OK.

Euro 2008 was the best tournament in my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    That by definition would make the 2002 World Cup the best because of the sheer amount of shocks, France, Portugal, Argentina all going out in the group stages, Italy and Spain falling shortly after.

But its not the best and I don't think this one is either, did you see last night? Sheeesh.
    Last night was really boring, I'll give that.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a thread asking people what their favourite world cup is. You can imagine my shock and confusion when I saw people claiming that this is the best world cup. It's not. It's one of the worst world cups. It has been really bad. The quality of the football has been extremely poor. Team performances have been very inconsistent. Football sucks now, it's really boring. Football died 10 years ago since all the legends retired, all that's left now are really bad players and really weak teams. I was expecting this world cup to be boring and rubbish, and I was right. Football will never be anywhere near as good as it was before, the 1998 and 2002 world cups were absolutely fantastic. Shame really, football used to be so great. It has fallen so far since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    I thought this was a thread asking people what their favourite world cup is. You can imagine my shock and confusion when I saw people claiming that this is the best world cup. It's not. It's one of the worst world cups. It has been really bad. The quality of the football has been extremely poor. Team performances have been very inconsistent. Football sucks now, it's really boring. Football died 10 years ago since all the legends retired, all that's left now are really bad players and really weak teams. I was expecting this world cup to be boring and rubbish, and I was right. Football will never be anywhere near as good as it was before, the 1998 and 2002 world cups were absolutely fantastic. Shame really, football used to be so great. It has fallen so far since then.
    There are still lots of world class players. The likes of Klose, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Gerrard are all world class. Some of them have underperformed but some of them have played really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Couldn't have said it any better. The money in the game has affected the game domestically and also internationally to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed it during the group stages, but it's been pretty meh after that. Ned 5 Spain 1 and Ger 7 Bra 1 are pretty unforgettable though, so it'll be remembered. It'll also be remembered as the second world cup in a row to have a huge Suarez controversy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.