The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Ancient history at Cardiff

Also what's the ancient history course like at Cardiff?
Could you be more specific?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Thaladan
Could you be more specific?

I'm gonna hijack the thread a little bit here. I've got an unconditional place to study Ancient History and I'm wondering about the suggested reading for the first year. It's a pretty long list and there is no way I'll be able to get my hands on all of them, if you have read them which ones did you find the most useful for the course?
I have already studied 480-404BC Greece and 100-30BC Rome at A-Level if that matters.
Speaking from my own experience, having just finished my first year of ancient history at Cardiff, I don't think I read a single book on that reading list. That said, I did read quite a lot of stuff, maybe a dozen or so books (basically whatever I could get from my local library), over the summer before going to Cardiff, which I found to be immensely helpful when I got to university; I certainly felt far more knowledgeable than the majority of my fellow students. So, yes, definitely read stuff, but I wouldn't be too worried about whether or not it's on the recommended reading list. Just read some broad overviews of ancient Greece and Rome and some primary sources; watching a few documentaries wouldn't hurt either (I recommend Dr Miles' Ancient Worlds).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending