Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ways to Have my Cake and Eat it - Internal Transfer Offer vs. Clearance Application Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck in a conundrum here. Gonna' keep the subjects anonymous just incase sod's law identifies me.

Last year I went to university 'A' to study subject 'X', only to find that I hated it. So I requested an Internal Transfer to do subject 'Y'. After no social sparks, lack of proficient tuition (in my opinion), followed by chasing after tutors to see how my application with subject Y was going to no avail, I started to realise I hated my Uni too. Infact the campus in general makes me feel disconnected and inadequate.

So I spent my sweet time working, until during these summer holidays I visited my old college friends from University 'B'. We chatted, we recalled the wonderful times I had with them during my visits to University B, and how I should of gone there all along. And I agree, I even snuck into a subject Y lecture in Uni B during freshers week earlier that year and enjoyed it, plus the halls were MUCH better than what I've experienced in Uni A. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Then my dear friend came up with a suggestion: why not apply through Clearing? And try get into Uni B that way? Great idea! He didn't see why I couldn't get an offer (I have the recent qualifications for it), and mentions the availablity for subject Y on a general basis - this was also mentioned by Uni B admissions when I rang them later on. And so when I got back I began my journey through the Clearing process and also did Student Finances.

Only, just as I was about to hunt down an old teacher for a reference, I got a letter. It was an Unconditional Offer from Uni A to do subject Y. This was a late reply from the Internal Transfer request I made initially, which I am pretty sure wasn't registered with UCAS.

And whilst I am grateful to get the offer, as it pulls me out from the dark, I still feel that by taking the offer, I will be stuck in the same disposition as I was to an extent. The university I currently attend is located in the city I grew up in, a city I need fresh air from. I've noticed I've been stuck in the same uninspiring cycles of uneventfulness and demotivation living here, and I've also noticed the main things left in this city which give me reason to stay (such as projects, activities clubs) have all disappeared recently - it's almost like a sign for me to start a new life elsewhere.

And nowhere else would be better than Uni B. I truly loved every visit there. And the thing is, my college friends - along with the college we went to - really transformed me as a person. Many gains came from there and I believe that many gains can come from Uni B.

However. This is where I start playing with fire. Long story short; is there basically a way to apply through Clearing regardless (hoping that Uni B gives me an offer, I'd have to do some pampering), and then still accept the Uni A offer as a backfall? See, Uni A need their offer replied to within 15 days. I'm basically wondering;

1. Does an Internal Transfer go through UCAS? Surely not.
    2. When does Student Finances get checked through by Universities? If I accepted Uni A's offer and applied through Clearing regardless, surely the Student Finance would eventually make them clash?
    3. Do you think it's a risk worth taking?

If you say "yes" to No. 3, then how would you go about it? Would you do anything else I haven't thought of, such as requesting Uni A to hold back their offer for a while? And then through Clearing, ring UCAS to ask them if its possible to forward their available offers to me?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be grately appreciated, even if you think the idea is doolally.

- John.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Our Soul)
    I'm stuck in a conundrum here. Gonna' keep the subjects anonymous just incase sod's law identifies me.

1. Does an Internal Transfer go through UCAS? Surely not.
    2. When does Student Finances get checked through by Universities? If I accepted Uni A's offer and applied through Clearing regardless, surely the Student Finance would eventually make them clash?
    3. Do you think it's a risk worth taking?

If you say "yes" to No. 3, then how would you go about it? Would you do anything else I haven't thought of, such as requesting Uni A to hold back their offer for a while? And then through Clearing, ring UCAS to ask them if its possible to forward their available offers to me?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be grately appreciated, even if you think the idea is doolally.

- John.
    1) sometimes yes sometimes no - generally an offer letter will make it clear if they require you to apply via UCAS to make things official. If your letter doesn't mention this then you don't have to.
    2) Student finance gets finalised when you PHYSICALLY arrive at a university. If you switch unis then you have to notify student finance and this might cause a delay in receiving your loans/grant but you wont get in trouble for trying to claim a loan/grant for 2 different courses. Until a uni tells the SLC that they've seen you in person then no money gets released.
    3) I don't see a risk tbh.You want to go to uni B so do everything you can to get there. If it all fails then worst case scenario you're at uni A but now studying a subject you like. The risk is around delays to getting your loan and possible problems securing somewhere to live if you're applying through clearing. However I would advise you to get an informal offer from Uni B now - you have your results then you can apply to UCAS *now* and if the uni have space they can make you an unconditional offer now instead of waiting until results week when they're busy with new applicants.

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly the answer I needed. Thanks very much. Fortunately the letter does not require me apply via UCAS. I'll get that reference and fire away.

(Original post by PQ)
    However I would advise you to get an informal offer from Uni B now.
    Could you explain further the best way on how to obtain the informal offer? Would be greatly appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Our Soul)
    Could you explain further the best way on how to obtain the informal offer? Would be greatly appreciated.
    Phone them up, explain the situation - ask if they will accept your application through Clearing prior to results day. If they say yes then get on UCAS and fill out your application ASAP. Also clarify with them whether they need a full reference or whether you can agree to provide them with contact details for a referee (because if they need a reference then you'll need to get one from someone at Uni A asap...doesn't need to be detailed).

Either way start going through Apply to get your application sorted (including PS) and asking potential referees if they'll provide you with a reference. You will need to do this to apply anywhere through Clearing - submitting an application does not invalidate any offer for a different course at your current uni.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant.

Thanks again, I am indebted to you.

-John

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.