Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Home Office Study says immigrants have put 1 million Brits out of work Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the UK have a British jobs for British workers law
    Yes
    9.09%
    No
    90.91%

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/487...official-study

Says since 1997 the number of Brits in low skilled jobs has fallen 1 million whilst the number of immigrants taking these jobs have gone up by a million the majority are from the EU and the report warns of the effects on local communities. The study also warned that it will only get worse if the EU expands.

Is it time to introduce British jobs for British workers so if a Brit has the qualifications to do the job they should get priority?

ReputationRep:
    That is a huge number of votes just handed to UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    More discussion of the report- report also says NHS, schools & transport cannot cope and that immigration has pushed down wages on average 15%

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...ld-by-migrants
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ort-finds.html

It also says that if immigrants move to an area house prices fall as Brits move away- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-advisers.html
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Here is the actual report since the Express obviously would never actually bother citing their sources.

Anyway, let's start with 1 million jobs since 1997. For starters, that's 60k jobs per year. Saying that migrants are "taking" those jobs is very misleading I think, because a fair amount would either have moved to higher-skilled jobs or retired in that period. Or they could have been made redundant and the jobs "taken" by migrants are in fact completely different. The labour market is complicated.

Concerning the report itself, the main concerns seem to be the same line we've heard many times before, that public services are being put under too much pressure. Which basically means that they're not getting adequate funding to meet current population levels, and that the housing crisis is still a thing. The study also touches on the issues of labour exploitation and "lower end" education.

IMO, deflecting blame onto immigrants just lets the real perpetrators off the hook. If the borders were closed tomorrow the issues of underfunded public services, of exploitation in the workplace, and overcrowded cities would not magically go away. To pretend otherwise is crazy. So why blame migrants for all of this? The government is supposed to be dealing with these problems, and they're not going to go away even if we do happen to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget about a million Brits work in other EU countries. If Britain left the EU, most of them will have to return to Britain so would have to take the jobs vacated by EU nationals who have to leave Britain but a lot of these are low skilled and low paid so the returning Brits would not be happy.

A heard a program a few weeks ago on BBC Radio 4 where 5 unemployed Brits were recruited to a farm harvesting crops. All the other farm workers were East Europeans. The farm owner explained all his workers were foreign because no Brits would do the work. None of the 5 Brits lasted a week despite the fact they could earn a decent wage if they worked as hard as the foreigners.

I think its stupid to say foreigners take British jobs. An employer would obviously prefer to take on a Brit because there would be no problem with language and no hassle with immigration and passports and all that gubbins. But if Brits don't want to do hard jobs and prefer to scounge of the State, its not surprising the jobs get filled by foreigners.

I wonder how many people who whinge about foreigners steal low paid, hard working, unsociable jobs like harvesting crops, warehouse work or fast food would actually do them themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/487...official-study

Says since 1997 the number of Brits in low skilled jobs has fallen 1 million whilst the number of immigrants taking these jobs have gone up by a million the majority are from the EU and the report warns of the effects on local communities. The study also warned that it will only get worse if the EU expands.

Is it time to introduce British jobs for British workers so if a Brit has the qualifications to do the job they should get priority?
    The report says the following:

''Employer demand for labour is often expressed in terms of skills needs or skills shortages. Although commonly used in academic and policy debates, the term skills has become very vague . It is important to recognise that, in practice, skills can refer to a wide range of qualifications, competencies and attributes.

Respondents to our call for evidence also highlighted the types of skills and qualities they look for when recruiting for low-skilled jobs. Although most of them emphasised that they do not intentionally target migrant workers, many suggested that migrant workers were meeting their requirements, while British workers either do not or would not apply for the job in the first place.

Employers reported to us that one of the major issues with UK workers applying for low-skilled jobs was the lack of basic numeracy and literacy skills. Migrants, especially newly-arrived migrants, may be prepared to accept jobs whose skills requirement are below their actual skills and qualifications, perhaps because their English language skills are not yet fully developed.

Data from the LFS confirm that migrant workers in low-skilled jobs may be over-qualified for their current position. The proportion of migrant workers in low-skilled jobs who left full-time education at age 21 or above is higher than for UK workers.Around one-third of non-EU and EU8 and EU2 workers in low-skilled jobs left full-time education at age 21 or above (Table 3). This compares with 10 per cent of UK workers in low-skilled jobs.''
    Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...mmary_2014.pdf.
    (Page 23)

So I guess the arguement you often use, ''We don't need immigrants when we have 2 million unemployed!'', isn't all that great if those unemployed lack the skills to do the job that migrants are doing, or are not willing to do the job:

Some employers perceive migrants to have a better work ethic, which can encapsulate a range of factors related to employers’ specific needs and job requirements. When the work on offer is temporary, or seasonal, or unpleasant and with unsociable hours, some employers reported to us that UK workers were seen as less reliable than migrants, unable to sustain the pace of work required, less willing to work unsociable shifts, and had very high attrition rates. Research found that the migrants’ supposed better work ethic was most commonly mentioned by employers in low-skilled sectors such as agriculture, food processing, social care and hospitality. Some researchers have identified the belief among employers that migrants are less likely to be trade union members as an explanation for attributing to migrants a better work ethic. Others have highlighted the migrants’ willingness to live on-site or work long-hours or anti-social shifts.

Migrant workers are more mobile and more willing to be accommodated on site, when required, than the UK workforce, which tends to be tied to particular geographical locations. This is particularly the case among UK-born low-skilled workers.
    Same source, Page 24.

So go ahead and construct a ''British jobs for British people'' law. I'm sure it will do good. After all, those smelly immigrants ain't got nothing over our hard working Brits.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a British jobs for British people law, Nigel Farage's German wife would lose her job.

ReputationRep:
    Its not rocket Science.

If you flood the economy white cheap labour, then that cheap labour is going to compete for jobs with the labour already here.

The whole point of mass immigration is to reduce wages, thats exactly why the corporations and capitalists want it to happen -- that and massive population increase, so there are more consumers to buy their crap and keep their shareholders happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Don't forget about a million Brits work in other EU countries. If Britain left the EU, most of them will have to return to Britain so would have to take the jobs vacated by EU nationals who have to leave Britain but a lot of these are low skilled and low paid so the returning Brits would not be happy.

A heard a program a few weeks ago on BBC Radio 4 where 5 unemployed Brits were recruited to a farm harvesting crops. All the other farm workers were East Europeans. The farm owner explained all his workers were foreign because no Brits would do the work. None of the 5 Brits lasted a week despite the fact they could earn a decent wage if they worked as hard as the foreigners.

I think its stupid to say foreigners take British jobs. An employer would obviously prefer to take on a Brit because there would be no problem with language and no hassle with immigration and passports and all that gubbins. But if Brits don't want to do hard jobs and prefer to scounge of the State, its not surprising the jobs get filled by foreigners.

I wonder how many people who whinge about foreigners steal low paid, hard working, unsociable jobs like harvesting crops, warehouse work or fast food would actually do them themselves.

ethnic minorities are more than twice as likely to be unemployed than white people in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ten-unemployed

So, are you saying Britain needs more immigration to do the jobs other immigrants won't do?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    Its not rocket Science.

If you flood the economy white cheap labour, then that cheap labour is going to compete for jobs with the labour already here.

The whole point of mass immigration is to reduce wages, thats exactly why the corporations and capitalists want it to happen -- that and massive population increase, so there are more consumers to buy their crap and keep their shareholders happy.
    I'm open to supporting less of the very low skilled immigration but the bigger population is one of the reasons I'm supportive. That and I want a higher birth rate.

ethnic minorities are more than twice as likely to be unemployed than white people in the UK.

So, are you saying Britain needs more immigration to do the jobs other immigrants won't do?
    For a proper analysis you need to break down each ethnicity (a lot from eastern Europe seem to be employed) and distinguish those born here from those arriving now.

Certainly in Bradford I'd say unemployment is higher among those born here and asylum seekers probably also have high unemployment rates.

ReputationRep:
    One thing for certain, if ever there were no more migrants to work in UK tomorrow it is very unlikely 90% of those jobs would be filled by British workers. All that would happen are further technological improvements to automate even further or those jobs would be outsourced abroad or lock, stock and barrel it would be moved to a different country.

ReputationRep:
    I think Polish immigrants is the reason.

ReputationRep:
    great news, British are very lazy.

It's not only the British worker is falling behind but the British economy.

ReputationRep:

Because ethnic minorities tend to be in full time education between those ages.

If you look at the proportion of those not employed and not in full time education then you will find that the numbers are only a few percentage points apart.

White: 9%
    Average Ethnic minority : 10%

ReputationRep:
    If a British worker loses out to a migrant with low skills and limited English, they need to ask themselves questions like "why did I **** up so badly?". Instead they blame Johnny foreigner.

ReputationRep:
    As the above poster said, if you do not have better skills that someone who can't even communicate properly due to a language barrier you're to blame not the foreigner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Because ethnic minorities tend to be in full time education between those ages.

If you look at the proportion of those not employed and not in full time education then you will find that the numbers are only a few percentage points apart.

White: 9%
    Average Ethnic minority : 10%

Thats one way of spinning it. But, ethnic minorities, of all ages, are more likely to be unemployed than the white population:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-whos-affected

So, obviously, Britain needs more immigrants to do the jobs ethnic minorities won't do. Yes, I'm taking the piss but when people say the jobs 'we' won't do, who are the 'we' they are talking about exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    If a British worker loses out to a migrant with low skills and limited English, they need to ask themselves questions like "why did I **** up so badly?". Instead they blame Johnny foreigner.

So, when a British worker, who expects decent wages and working conditions, is undercut by a cheap foreign import used to working for peanuts in a third world country -- a cheap foreign import deliberately imported for the reasons of undercutting a more expensive British worker.i might add. Then the British worker should ask themselves how he or she ****ed up???

beyond parody.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very torn on the whole issue, where I have conflicting loyalties.

Immigration is good for the economy, at least in terms of the headline economic figures. But it mainly benefits the wealthy at the expense of the working class, whose pay and standards are undercut. Yet, to oppose this is pretty much protectionism, with all the damaging effects for the world economy that implies. And whilst the effect it has on the indigenous poor in this country is obvious and regrettable, the benefits for the migrants – who are incomparably poorer – are profound.

If I were consistent with my libertarian beliefs I ought no question to support free-for-all immigration. And yet, I struggle to bring myself to support something which is wreaking havoc on many communities. Selfishness? Possibly.

ReputationRep:
    So, when a British worker, who expects decent wages and working conditions, is undercut by a cheap foreign import used to working for peanuts in a third world country -- a cheap foreign import deliberately imported for the reasons of undercutting a more expensive British worker.i might add. Then the British worker should ask themselves how he or she ****ed up???

beyond parody.
    If you've lived your entire life in the UK, which has high quality free education and other universal perks such as free healthcare... and despite these huge advantages you find yourself aiming for minimum wage (i.e zero skilled) jobs.. and THEN lose out to someone who can barely speak english, then yes, at some point in your life you have majorly ****ed up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.