Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are these Alevels a good combination? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, General Studies and Level 3 Extended Project Qualification (AQA).

AS/A2 Biology, AS/A2 Human Biology, AS/A2 Chemistry, AS Psychology, AS/A2 General Studies and AS/A2 Level 3 Extended Project Qualification.
    I'm 100% certain I want my life to go in the direction of science, and we were encouraged at highschool to choose Alevels that go down a specific path (like science). The sixth form won't let me choose Physics because I'm not doing Alevel maths. I'm not really trying to get into the Physics industry anyway, I'm leaning more towards biochemistry and medicine/disease type jobs and degrees.

In an absolutely perfect world, I would love to read this degree:
    C749 MBIOL Medical Biochemistry
    http://www.fbs.leeds.ac.uk/undergraduate/ugcourse.php?tsid=7

They say they want: AAA-ABB from 3 A2/Advanced Higher, including Chemistry and another science subject

But just in case I don't want to do this course in the future, I have Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology and Psychology to give me a bit of a range of choices for degrees. The degrees I'm interested in don't require maths at Alevel, so I'm okay not taking maths alevel (though I wish I could do it tbh).
    Would you guys say these are good Alevel choices for what I'm looking to do? I know I'm only 15 but I'm trying to make the ride as clear as possible for me and not get stressed out when it's UCAS application time (it's pretty soon actually!) and I'm very very sure this is how I want my life to go.

I know that General Studies is actually blacklisted in some unis, but we're actually forced to do general studies at the sixth form I'm going to. I read on some uni's sites that they don't accept general studies as a subject requirement, but they said you should mention it in your UCAS application because it's another thing to make you stand out. I guess the extended project is just a nice little extra we're offered at my sixth form so I thought "why not?" XD
    I'm predicted at GCSE (if this helps).
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A
    English Lang: A
    English Lit: A*
    History: A
    Geography: A*
    French: A*
    Maths: B
    Religious Studies: A*
    Further Maths: C
    I'm super hoping for 7A*s on results day (21st August). XD

Also, I would like your opinion on Psychology. Many people I hear say that it's what lazy people do, but I thought Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology would compliment eachother very very well. :<
    Thanks for reading this long block of text. XD

ReputationRep:
    Why are you doing so many?

You do know university only looks at your best As level and 3 highest A2 levels, right?
    Spreading more of your time on an extra As or A2 level is pointless because you could allocate that time to other subjects.

I can see you are doing well at GCSE, but, the jump between those two is ASTRONOMICAL.

The combinations are good (although I don't know what the extended project is) but, don't spread yourself too thin to show off to universities, it won't work!

ReputationRep:
    Person above is clueless. General studies is compulsory for the OP, and so they have to do five.

Down to OP's question: doing biol and human biol is completely pointless. Cut human biology.

Do French, would be my advice. Super useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although, if you DO want to show off, DO IT IN YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT, just don't sound pompous.
    That's what it's there for, to distinguish between people with the best grades but all who have the same grades (say you have 1 place for 8 people), that's where they will make their decision!

I am not doing biochemistry, I am doing biomedical science in the hopes of becoming a teacher. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William Turtle)
    Person above is clueless. Is general studies compulsory for you?

Down to OP's question: doing biol and human biol is completely pointless. Cut human biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not what I meant, clearly the guy likes biology and so, if you enjoy a subject, you are more likely to do well in it!
    Doing a subject you loath is the WORST decision you can make at A level!

EDIT:
    And it fits the university's entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Not what I meant, clearly the guy likes biology and so, if you enjoy a subject, you are more likely to do well in it!
    Doing a subject you loath is the WORST decision you can make at A level!

EDIT:
    And it fits the university's entry requirements.
    I didn't say that you meant anything. I was calling you clueless for berating the OP for doing more than 4 subjects, when one is general studies and another is an EPQ.

If I were the OP, I'd consider whether unis will accept both biology subjects in your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William Turtle)
    Person above is clueless. General studies is compulsory for the OP, and so they have to do five.

Do French, would be my advice. Super useful.
    Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and French? That sounds pretty good actually! The uni I'm going to says that it does accept biology and human biology together, but I just looked at the two specs are there is SO much overlap.. it would be pretty pointless actually. And most unis don't accept it soooo yeah I'll go with your idea. I was actually thinking of doing French alevel so that really helps.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound really big headed of me too but, this is just to help you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2176162 <-- my most popular thread, but I have others.

I have made threads for biology As and A2 and chemistry As.
    I didn't make the A2 chemistry stuff because the stuff I did have access to anyone could have found online to be honest.

All my threads are linked to each other so you don't have to trawl through hundreds of pages looking for em.

They contain QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS to past questions so you are not limited to whatever questions are available on the AQA website and is designed to help you with exam technique and see where marks are allocated (which is a real *itch).

ReputationRep:
    If you did do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and French, could you not self-teach Human Biology? Just an idea, I don't know if it's feasible as I don't do science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toriar)
    If you did do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and French, could you not self-teach Human Biology? Just an idea, I don't know if it's feasible as I don't do science.
    I looked at the specification for Human Biology and it's pretty much the exact same as Biology, but with most of the stuff about plants taken out. Biology seems to have much more science in and much higher level ideas. Human Biology just seems to be medium level science + data + scenarios, and it's funny because some of the stuff in human biology is about plants and animals! Just at a lower level! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyHylian)
    Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and French? That sounds pretty good actually! The uni I'm going to says that it does accept biology and human biology together, but I just looked at the two specs are there is SO much overlap.. it would be pretty pointless actually. And most unis don't accept it soooo yeah I'll go with your idea. I was actually thinking of doing French alevel so that really helps.
    ? How can you know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.