The Student Room Group

Brazil: Is this the end?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zürich
Brazil havent played nice football in any of the 3 last world cups anyway, in fact they've been very ordinary for years.

They have, but until 2010 they have at least had exciting players in the teams. I still can't work out what any of midfield players in this World Cup squad purport to do. Neymar was decent, but I still think he was made to look good by being the best of a very, very bad bunch.

It just seems to me that the thrashing against Germany could represent the final nail in the coffin of the football Brazil were famous for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Michael!
There main reason Brazil got pumped last night was because of David Luiz. He had two jobs, one of them was being a centre back and the other taking up the captaincy. From the start of the game he went off on his ridiculous runs to the other side of the pitch leaving the defence vulnerable. On top of that, Marcelo was pretty much playing as a left winger which meant that Dante, Silva's replacement and Maicon were left to fend for themselves. Luiz should have told him to stay back and defend, especially after they went a goal down. Luiz himself should have also stopped acting like he's a better player than he is and stayed back in his own position.

Bernard was awful. Had to replace Neymar but he just doesn't have any sort of physical presence. Schweinsteiger and Khedira absolutely dominated him.

Hulk is awful, how he is valued at £40m+ I have no idea and Fred is horrendous as well.

Agree with the first paragraph. David Luiz is a joke in defence as is Marcelo, neither one of them bothered to get back whenever they lost the ball they just slowly walked back in the hopes that the DM's would get the ball for them and give it to them so they could run again.

However I thought Bernard was the only player who played well. Chased absolutely everything, wasnt' afraid of running at the German defence and managed to beat players occasionally but just had no support whatsoever.
I still think neymar is quite talented/skilled. A good team should still be able to play well/good together w/o their best defender or striker. I think this brazillian team had got used to silva/neymar so much they never contemplated what it would be like to play a football match w/o them. I think it was a lack of organisation preparation that let them down. still who knows.. might be in another ten years a super talented team may emerge..
Original post by scotttb
We all knew before this game that this Brazil squad wasn't very good. They have only 2 world class players. Are you asking if it is possible they will have good players again in the future? If so then yes, they can (and probably will.)
Also this would not have happened with Thiago Silva in the backline stopping David Luiz and Marcelo from being (as) stupid.

lol thiago silva may have a baby face but hes certainly good at controlling his boys!!
Considering the extremely kind set of fixtures they had: Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon, Chile, Columbia making it to the semi's was a given. Only narrowly winning marginally by a majority of them and diving to get victories, it's no surprise when they come up against the big boys, they get spanked.

Bunch of cry babies, glad they got eliminated.
(edited 9 years ago)
People thought Germany's 5-1 defeat to England (around 14 years ago?) was the end for Germany, yet here they are... you just never know with these things...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pane123
Yes, this is what I mean. I watch Brazilian football and the level is getting poorer and poorer. We all saw how bad Fred is, yet he has managed 62 goals in 96 league games in Brazil.

The national team is quite poor right now, but the level of football in the country is much higher than it was ten years ago. It's on an upwards trajectory.

Your point re: Fred is moot. We all saw how bad Rooney was for England yet he scores consistently in the prem.
Reply 28
Original post by e aí rapaz
The national team is quite poor right now, but the level of football in the country is much higher than it was ten years ago. It's on an upwards trajectory.

Your point re: Fred is moot. We all saw how bad Rooney was for England yet he scores consistently in the prem.

It's not moot. When Rooney plays badly you can at least see he has some footballing ability, which can not be said of Fred.
Original post by swan stardust
I got brokenhearted for Brazil too :frown:
I think people and media are being so harsh on them and even some of their greatest supporters are now against them and very horrible things are currently happening in Brazil.
It was a very very unfortunate game and Germany are an incredible team.Brazil was under pressure for winning the World Cup since it's the country of football and because they were playing at their place.Silva and Neymar were missing too so the team's mood could have been really down :frown:
Plus after the first two or three goals it's really hard to get motivated because you feel under pressure so the first goals must have been so harsh on them that couldn't regain their strength and keep going.
It was a very bad defeat but that doesn't mean that it's the end.Now there are under criticism and mocking(the latter i personally find very impolite and unnecessary) but nevertheless they did all they could.Oscar's goal-even if it didn't change the outcome-was something positive,the very fact that they didn't give up but gave it all even knowing that the match is lost was inspirational in its own way.
Brazil has had some of the greatest footballers and matches of all time.As every team,sometimes awful things happen like yesterday's game.But that doesn't mean that they will give up or that they will be stigmatized(hopefully) from this event.
Brazil has marked the history of football,it just happened yesterday to have some very bad moments.
I feel so sorry for all of the players,my heart broke when i was seeing their sadness and disappointment in their faces :frown:
Brazil has so much more to offer,even if they go through bad times,they will recover,wear their yellow and green t-shirts and prove how magnificent they can be.Also,times are changing and although i think football used to be much much better in the past regarding all the teams of the world,it would be nice to embrace the fact that these eras are gone and something new has begun.By remembering the football glories of the past of Brazil one could hope that the future will be better too.
I will personally continue to support Brazil,no matter the disheartening game of yesterday.
Brasil nos te amamos :heart::heart::heart:

Sadly Brazil needs to make it's mind up whether they want to play "beautiful" football or whether they need some rudimentary defence and positional discipline. Since you fired Dunga this is where you have been headed. Tbh the Brazil dressing room is pretty near anarchy these days.
Original post by pane123
It's not moot. When Rooney plays badly you can at least see he has some footballing ability, which can not be said of Fred.

Fred plays better for club than country, and domestic Brazilian football is not the same level as international. That has no real bearing on your assertion that Brazilian football is getting worse, that's my point.

The traditional brazilian style is uncommon these days, that's true. That's the globalization of football for you I guess.
Reply 31
Original post by e aí rapaz
Fred plays better for club than country, and domestic Brazilian football is not the same level as international. That has no real bearing on your assertion that Brazilian football is getting worse, that's my point.

The traditional brazilian style is uncommon these days, that's true. That's the globalization of football for you I guess.

OK, fair enough. Brazilian football might not be getting worse (my jury is out on this one), but European football is getting further and further ahead of it. It is failing to produce the quality of player it used to and guys like Ganso and Damiao haven't been able to break through to the next level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419
Really? I didn't know that.

Bad day at the office that what it is. If they play Germany tomorrow with same team, they'll lose but won't lose 7-1. People just love overreacting to things. That result doesn't make this Brazil team any worse. End of an era in terms of players but that's it. They're still be a force in the next copa and WC.

Your last sentence is the arrogance I'm talking about. The same arrogance that expects Brazil to win every ****ing thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gotta agree with the last bit. Pele's quote from today:

"I always said that football is a box of surprises. Nobody in this world expected this result. We'll get the sixth title in Russia. Congratulations to Germany."

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest