Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've just finished my degree in microbiology and I've started applying for PhD roles. My project supervisor from uni had been suggesting that I could do my PhD with the university so we are working on getting my dissertation published in the hope I can secure funding for it. However, he's now started emailing me with other opportunities for PhDs elsewhere so I'm taking that to mean I won't be doing it at Teesside any time soon.

I've read online that it's best to email potential supervisors before applying so that is what I have been doing, although I never really know what questions to ask them so I just introduce myself and say that I'm very interested in doing research in the area. I have enquired in this way for about 10 but I haven't had a single reply. I've also been writing research proposals, which take me about a week for each one. I don't want to submit the proposal without the go-ahead from the supervisor but the deadlines are approaching. I'm worried that I've gone in completely the wrong direction, as when I wrote my proposal at Teesside I had a lot of help and direction from the lecturers there. Specifically, I'm applying for Synthetic Biology courses - we didn't cover anything to do with this at Teesside, so compared to my project (biotechnology related) I feel like a complete newbie. I'd like it if the supervisors would get back to me and give me a nudge in the right direction but I'm not even sure they're supposed to do that.

How are you supposed to write a proposal? I've basically been researching recent papers specific to that area, particularly those published by the supervisor, and pulling future recommendations from the conclusions then basing my research off that. The best case scenario would be that I get funding for my own project as I feel much more experienced in that, and would feel very comfortable planning the whole thing. But equally I'd love to branch out into something more cutting-edge and learn more about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiry)
    Specifically, I'm applying for Synthetic Biology courses - we didn't cover anything to do with this at Teesside, so compared to my project (biotechnology related) I feel like a complete newbie.
    In that case it may be worth applying for a masters first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.