Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After deciding I'm going to get a no OS laptop to save the costs I came across this deal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Mic...item20e77db214

Having sold and bought on Ebay many times I realise they are good deals but is this surely legit? Much higher than anyone else and cd's like these can be easy to produce and look real. I prefer windows 7 to 8 so would rather get this than the students deal for windows 8 if this is in fact legitimate.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    After deciding I'm going to get a no OS laptop to save the costs I came across this deal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Mic...item20e77db214

Having sold and bought on Ebay many times I realise they are good deals but is this surely legit? Much higher than anyone else and cd's like these can be easy to produce and look real. I prefer windows 7 to 8 so would rather get this than the students deal for windows 8 if this is in fact legitimate.

Thanks in advance
    The box shows a retail copy of Windows. The disc shows an OEM copy of Windows. This is dodgy at best IMO.

ReputationRep:
    The seller does have a 99.9% positive feedback but as Mikeyd85 stated, it does look a bit dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The box shows a retail copy of Windows. The disc shows an OEM copy of Windows. This is dodgy at best IMO.

(Original post by Teucer)
    The seller does have a 99.9% positive feedback but as Mikeyd85 stated, it does look a bit dodgy.
    Cheers guys, valid point. The price is far too low and the website doesn't look too good either. Think I'll give it a miss then and look round some more.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, valid point. The price is far too low and the website doesn't look too good either. Think I'll give it a miss then and look round some more.
    No worries. I'd say this is probably a reasonable price for a legitimate boxed retail copy.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it. If you read the listing it's just for a dell branded win 7 disk, no retail packaging. Paypal usually protects buyers very well anyway, at worst you'll have to pay return postage.

ReputationRep:
    Seems legit otherwise eBay would have taken it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Seems legit otherwise eBay would have taken it down.
    Not unless reported or even noticed in the first place.

I once ordered a dirt cheap copy of Adobe Photoshop off eBay, turned out to be a cracked version which I could have downloaded myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    No worries. I'd say this is probably a reasonable price for a legitimate boxed retail copy.
    Yeah that seems to be the price Amazon and others are selling at.

(Original post by pjm600)
    I'd say go for it. If you read the listing it's just for a dell branded win 7 disk, no retail packaging. Paypal usually protects buyers very well anyway, at worst you'll have to pay return postage.
    Had an issue myself a while back, cheap branded items were fake and buyer refused to pay back. Paypal weren't helpful either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For a 100% legit Windows OS the cheapest option is going to be buying the OS with the laptop. The only time this may not be true is if you regularly upgrade your computer, in which case you may be able to buy a retail version of the OS once and then transfer the license to the new machine (but then you'll need a different OS for the first machine)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.