Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do people see in the World Cup? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To me it's just another game of football... Grown men chasing a tiny object moving across a pitch surrounded by crowds of screaming people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also get paid thousands...why is it that they get paid millions for doing something they enjoy, when zillions of people are starving and getting paid 6p a day for working nike?
    Sorry for all those football lovers out there, but that's how I see it

ReputationRep:
    Although I do enjoy playing football, I simply can't help but see it the same way. Perhaps from the ages of 8-14 I was completely fascinated by it, but the more I began to watch it, the less appealing it appeared. Now I find it almost impossible to watch 20 consecutive minutes of a football match, apart from extra time.

However I can never miss watching high stakes extra time football. The atmosphere is amazing, especially at the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    tbh i have to agree with OP. futbol is just a load of uneducated lummoxes kicking a pig's bladder around and being paid ££millions. ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    To me it's just another game of football... Grown men chasing a tiny object moving across a pitch surrounded by crowds of screaming people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also get paid thousands...why is it that they get paid millions for doing something they enjoy, when zillions of people are starving and getting paid 6p a day for working nike?
    You can reduce anything into the ridiculous like that. It's quite a cliché 'argument' which is the same as saying music is just a bunch of chords and notes arranged in a similar pattern to make people happy or cry.

They get paid so much because they are entertainers. The top singers - also entertainers - get paid far, far more than the top footballers, and nobody really has anything but admiration for them.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Dem days when footballers were volunteering for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrow900)
    Although I do enjoy playing football, I simply can't help but see it the same way. Perhaps from the ages of 8-14 I was completely fascinated by it, but the more I began to watch it, the less appealing it appeared. Now I find it almost impossible to watch 20 consecutive minutes of a football match, apart from extra time.

However I can never miss watching high stakes extra time football. The atmosphere is amazing, especially at the world cup.
    I actually still enjoy playing football, but the world cups a bit too far. Everyone talks about it too much, like the way people went on about disney's film, frozen. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M'Ling)
    You can reduce anything into the ridiculous like that. It's quite a cliché 'argument' which is the same as saying music is just a bunch of chords and notes arranged in a similar pattern to make people happy or cry.

They get paid so much because they are entertainers. The top singers - also entertainers - get paid far, far more than the top footballers, and nobody really has anything but admiration for them.
    True... They hardly do anything for the amount of money they get... But then, life is unfair :mad:

ReputationRep:
    True... They hardly do anything for the amount of money they get... But then, life is unfair :mad:
    Football is a huge business, and football players bring in huge sums of money in the form of ticket sales and sponsorship deals. Take Ronaldo for instance, he cost £80m and gets paid hundreds of thousands a week, but he makes up for that with shirt sales and his contribution to Real Madrid's global brand, which made 518.9 million euros last year. The short career of players also contribute to their salaries. So in economic terms, their salaries make sense.

You also whine that their salaries are unfair, that's a very naive view. If, for example, the UK imposed a 30K a week limit on players' salaries, all the top players would move and the UK would lose vast sums of tax money. This would mean less money for healthcare and schools, and some people in this country would get abysmal treatment and education as a result. And all because of your moralising.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is almost as cliche as the whole 'soldiers should be paid what footballers earn' argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see some English fans laughing at Brazil (when England couldn't even break out from their group).

Other than that yeah its obvious that football is literally a business

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like football.

There is generally far less football on at this time of year so World Cup's and other international tournaments allow me to do something I enjoy which I otherwise wouldn't be able to before club pre-season friendlies and then the season proper to start (although the MLS has already started and Brasiliero will restart after the WC ).

I don't understand why you would watch the World Cup if you don't like football though.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but footballers don't get paid for playing at international level?

They only get a wage at their clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmufc1995)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but footballers don't get paid for playing at international level?

I am pretty certain that they do get paid considering the amount of money coming in at international tournaments. I think that the national squad pays them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I feel the exact same way! I saw pictures of people actually crying at the brazil match, and I could not believe people's fascinations/passion for the game! It is crazy

ReputationRep:
    Ah, this thread has everything one should expect from an "I don't like football cos I is clever" thread:

Mention men chasing a ball - check
    Call the ball a pig's bladder - check
    Moan about how much they are paid - check
    Call all footballers stupid - check

All we need is for someone to say that soldiers/firemen/doctors/nurses should earn the same as footballers and we're done.

ReputationRep:
    Repped. Totally agree with you there. What you've outlined is completely obvious and logical, yet there are millions of people who choose to spend a lot of money on tickets, dedicate a lot of time to travelling to and from games, stand up for two hours in a noisy stadium shouting at the top of their voice while having absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with the team they care so much about, a match the result of which will have absolutely no impact on their lives at all. I've never understood it.

It's ridiculous that footballers get paid huge amounts of money to kick a ball around. It's an understatement just to say that it makes no sense. They are not benefiting humanity or society at all. To me, it has never made sense and it never will make any sense. I've had this discussion before on another thread, and plenty of delusional football fans came forward and justified their love for football and explained how footballers deserve to get paid such huge salaries, it was beyond ridiculous, to think that people out there invest so much time and emotion into football and claim that it is, in fact, benefiting society and that footballers do, in fact, deserve to get paid huge salaries. To repeat, it is beyond ridiculous. It's a never ending argument. In an ideal world, footballers would be paid absolutely nothing, they are not doing anything to benefit anyone.

Having said all of that (and this might come across as contradictory), there was a time when I used to enjoy watching football. Ten to 15 years ago roughly (when I first started to watch football), football was truly great. The game was full of great players, legends like Ronaldo and Zidane who have been retired for a long time now. It was fun to watch. Now football is completely rubbish and really boring, the players suck so much, there's no fun in watching it or following it at all any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I feel the exact same way! I saw pictures of people actually crying at the brazil match, and I could not believe people's fascinations/passion for the game! It is crazy
    Haha, I had the same reaction, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous (and hilarious) that someone would cry at the result of a football match, especially considering the fact that they have ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER with the team, the result of the match will not affect their lives in any way or form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Haha, I had the same reaction, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous (and hilarious) that someone would cry at the result of a football match, especially considering the fact that they have ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER with the team, the result of the match will not affect their lives in any way or form.
    Do you not think professional sport should exist?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's a chore to follow and incredibly pretentious to shout out loud in the public 'GERMANY WON!' when you're Chinese or Alaskan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmufc1995)

It's not a wage as such because it's not regular or guaranteed that they'll play for the national club, but they do get an appearance fee.

The FA pays them £1250 for every win, £1000 for a draw and £750 for a loss. The policy among the players has always been to pool this money and donate to charity every year. But that's just England players, other countries do it differently. The Ghanaian team recently had a bit of an issue when their bonuses for making the World Cup didn't get paid and they almost threatened strike action.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.