Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not able to drive yet, but as well as saving up for a hundred other things, I'd love to buy a car.
    You might think me stupid, but my favourite car in the whole world (with the exception of Audi r8 perhaps...) is a mini Cooper. Can anyone tell me if they're any good?
    How much is insurance likely to cost,
    are they easy to maintain,
    do they run well,
    are they comfortable/fast
    do they last long,
    what problems are they prone to
    etc etc. Any help will be appreciated

Oh I forgot.. The only reason I really like them is their appearance.... And the fact they seem reliable because everyone around here seems to have one. But you know the saying, don't judge a book by its cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    I'm not able to drive yet, but as well as saving up for a hundred other things, I'd love to buy a car.
    You might think me stupid, but my favourite car in the whole world (with the exception of Audi r8 perhaps...) is a mini Cooper. Can anyone tell me if they're any good?
    How much is insurance likely to cost,
    are they easy to maintain,
    do they run well,
    are they comfortable/fast
    do they last long,
    what problems are they prone to
    etc etc. Any help will be appreciated

Oh I forgot.. The only reason I really like them is their appearance.... And the fact they seem reliable because everyone around here seems to have one. But you know the saying, don't judge a book by its cover.
    They aren't bad cars as long as you don't buy one that is too old.

Problems? Timing chain and tensioners on them do go, will be expensive to replace too. Gearbox isn't that robust on it, also expensive to fix. Some electrical gremlins here and there, these cars don't like floods very much so if you are buying one used make sure it hasn't had a swim before.

All cars can last long if you maintain them.

Comfortable? Not really. Fast? It can be.

All cars run well when new

Easy to maintain? From new they are almost free to maintain as they have a TLC pack but it is recommended you change the oil a bit more often otherwise the timing chain and tensioner will wear out. Parts aren't cheap though.

Insurance? Not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

Are they any good? They won't sell in such big numbers at such an expensive price if it wasn't

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I just drove a Mini Clubman
    Thought it was surprisingly small inside given the size of the car and have a tiny boot. The dash is weird and felt a bit cheap as well. Was alright to drive though.
    Still got BMWs annoying method of getting into reverse though

ReputationRep:
    Which mini?

BMW Or Morris/Austin/Rover?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.