Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've currently finished my GCSEs. My sixth form college has given me homework to complete before we enroll. It is a pretty straight forward worksheet. However, the sheet displays a table containing units and the SI unit symbols. Also, we have to fill out the "formula notation" of each unit. I understand what the SI unit is as well as the unit it self. However, I don't know what the "formula notation" is.

One example shows the metre to have a formula notation of "s". I've tried to do some research on the internet but I can't find any matching answers. If you do have an idea about this (sorry for the poor description), please reply. Thank you for your help.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riya Patel)
    Hi, I've currently finished my GCSEs. My sixth form college has given me homework to complete before we enroll. It is a pretty straight forward worksheet. However, the sheet displays a table containing units and the SI unit symbols. Also, we have to fill out the "formula notation" of each unit. I understand what the SI unit is as well as the unit it self. However, I don't know what the "formula notation" is.

One example shows the metre to have a formula notation of "s". I've tried to do some research on the internet but I can't find any matching answers. If you do have an idea about this (sorry for the poor description), please reply. Thank you for your help.
    Hey, I'm just moving this to the physics section for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sics_notations

(Original post by Changing Skies)
      Hey, I'm just moving this to the physics section for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only explanation for why the metre, a unit of distance or displacement, is notated as "s" is that this refers to the "s" in the formula s=vt where v is velocity and t is time.
      I assume the "formula notation" means the usual character in standard formulas.
      For example, density often appears as ρ (Greek rho) in formulas.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stonebridge)
      The only explanation for why the metre, a unit of distance or displacement, is notated as "s" is that this refers to the "s" in the formula s=vt where v is velocity and t is time.
      I assume the "formula notation" means the usual character in standard formulas.
      For example, density often appears as ρ (Greek rho) in formulas.
      Ah I see now! Thank you so much for the help!

ReputationRep:
      It might be easier to help if you post a picture of the worksheet?

ReputationRep:

It means the symbol relating to what the unit measures. For example, distance is measured in metres and is given the symbol 's' (technically displacement, but whatever). Time has units of seconds and a symbol t and so on.

ReputationRep:
      Thank you for everyone's help, I understand now.

ReputationRep:

R u going to St. Brendan's sixth form?? Just asking.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ngaden76)
      R u going to St. Brendan's sixth form?? Just asking.
      No, St Dominics

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.