Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are any existing UCL students able to recommend a bank (that is hopefully not evil) to open a student account at?

I'm from Germany, so I'd like to get that stuff sorted out before my course starts in September.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    When I came to UCL I opened my account on the first day with HSBC (Tottenham Court Road) Just needed a letter from the halls and the acceptance letter from uni

ReputationRep:
    what is the actual difference between a regular bank account and student bank account?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can often get perks like Natwest give you a rail card for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

http://www.savethestudent.org/money/...-accounts.html

Wait a little till all the banks release what they have to offer this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastergalen)
    Are any existing UCL students able to recommend a bank (that is hopefully not evil) to open a student account at?

I'm from Germany, so I'd like to get that stuff sorted out before my course starts in September.
    As a German just moving to the UK, you will not be able to open a student bank account. The banks require you to have lived in the UK for a least 3 years prior to opening a student account.

Some banks offer International Student accounts, usually without all the perks of a regular student account. Otherwise, you'll just have to open a standard bank account with any bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    You can often get perks like Natwest give you a rail card for 3 years.
    For internationals its more a case of having a local currency account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    For internationals its more a case of having a local currency account
    And preferrably a bank that supports SEPA-transactions so you can avoid high transfer fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cortadita)
    what is the actual difference between a regular bank account and student bank account?
    0% overdraft. Which comes in handy with the occasional late payment.

ReputationRep:
    Great to know, but is it true that people from outside UK cannot open student bank account? In such a case I also wouldn't be able to do that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cortadita)
    Great to know, but is it true that people from outside UK cannot open student bank account? In such a case I also wouldn't be able to do that...
    Yes, they require 3 years of residency in the UK.

Just go to the bank websites for their student accounts and look under conditions/eligibility.

ReputationRep:
    Santander

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastergalen)

Lloyds

NOT TSB: The manager said that he would get back to me with regards a student account.. No call back..

Going inside my particular branch is a like time machine into the 90s, albeit with hideously slow computers and a backwards que service..

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree with this.

From past experience it's best to wait until early August when they all release their details.

Don't want to get stuck with a bank that's offer turns out not to be too great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabaTong)
    As a German just moving to the UK, you will not be able to open a student bank account. The banks require you to have lived in the UK for a least 3 years prior to opening a student account.

Some banks offer International Student accounts, usually without all the perks of a regular student account. Otherwise, you'll just have to open a standard bank account with any bank.
    You can get a basic account, just like I did as a foreign student. You just can't get the overdraft, aka your balance going below zero. You just need a letter from your uni to start one.

I can recommend Lloyds or TSB, they were alright (except the transfer fees from other countries are ridiculous, use Transferwise). I used to be with RBS but then they changed the way that you could only take money out from their own ATMs so I had to change banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123kat137)
    This is NOT true. I lived in Glasgow for 4 years and I am from Finland. You can get a basic student account/something similar, you just cannot get overdraft (aka your account going below zero). None of my foreign friends had any issues with this either (Lloyds/TSB and RSB at least), you just need a letter from your uni to start the account.
    In which case it is no longer a student account, but rather a regular account with a different name.

The entire point of the student account is the overdraft and other perks (a railcard for example), which is exactly what you can't get.

Opening a normal bank account is no problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabaTong)
    In which case it is no longer a student account, but rather a regular account with a different name.

The entire point of the student account is the overdraft and other perks (a railcard for example), which is exactly what you can't get.

Opening a normal bank account is no problem at all.
    gotcha, fixed my mistake. then again, just starting my whatever basic account turned out to be a massive nightmare -_-"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.