Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help on choosing what to do for A Levels! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So enrolment day is coming up soon and I just want to make sure I pick the right subjects for A levels.
    I am planning on taking Maths and Further Maths A Level since I am pretty sure I will come out with an A* in maths GCSE and it is probably the strongest subject for me.
    However, I'm not entirely sure what my other 2 options would be.
    Many of my teachers have told me to do Physics but GCSE physics was sort of boring and I have heard that it can be extremely hard? (Is this the case and is it similar to Maths A Level?)
    Finally, I need to know whether I should take History or a Psychology A Level because I want to do something different. The other 3 subjects are all number based and I just want to be able to do something which is slightly different.
    I studied History and Psychology in GCSE and came out with an A is Psychology but still waiting for my History grade. Which I think would be at least an A.
    Which course out of the two do you think is the best? I
    Thanks

I

ReputationRep:
    A level physics is definitely more interesting than gcse and there's a lot of new stuff in a level physics which you didn't do at gcse such as particle physics and waves so you might find these less boring. It might be worth borrowing a textbook or revision guide from someone to have a brief look through to see what you think of it as you really won't enjoy it much if you're not interested in it...

If you're doing maths and further maths you shouldn't find AS physics to difficult really... there are some bits in A2 which are a bit harder but as long as they're explained well by your teacher and once you get your head around them they aren't too bad either

There's some overlap with the mechanics module in maths but seen as only gcse maths is required for physics the type of questions they can ask is limited and so it's not really like a level maths... physics is more about understanding the theory behind the equations your using and actually knowing what is going on

I didn't do history or psychology but be prepared for a lot of writing!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on you; in both subjects there is A LOT of writing and there's A LOT to memorise; however, History has significantly more content then Psychology, so If you have a good memory then History's good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.