Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After having plough through numerous (old) threads I still don't understand what this means as people have been giving different views.

So some firms (big 4) require you to have 280-320 ucas points in the first sitting. What does this mean?

I did my A Levels within the standard 2 years but retook modules in between to get a higher mark (retook AS modules in year 2; retook A2 jan module in June)

First year: BBC
    Second year (overall): ABB.

For my situation, would this be perceived as first sitting or second sitting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loloway)
    After having plough through numerous (old) threads I still don't understand what this means as people have been giving different views.

So some firms (big 4) require you to have 280-320 ucas points in the first sitting. What does this mean?

I did my A Levels within the standard 2 years but retook modules in between to get a higher mark (retook AS modules in year 2; retook A2 jan module in June)

As far as I know (and I may very well be wrong so hold out for more opinions!) I thought first sitting meant the first time you take an exam only. So any resits/retakes wouldn't be considered even if you improved.

However, if you sat an AS exam in January, redid it in June and cashed it in, I was under the impression the university wouldn't be informed of this (as on UCAS entering modules is optional, and even if you do you would only insert one module mark, the highest).

Furthermore, if you sat an A2 exam in January and redid it in June, I thought universities were only forwarded grade/point information and not individual marks.

I'm not sure how much of this is correct or where is puts you, but good luck.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Mis-read this. I think you're good here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loloway)

First sitting. Second sitting refers to people who have gone back to resit after finishing the qualification first time.

However you should check with each firm to clarify

ReputationRep:
    Essentially you have two years to do A-levels. The results you have at the end of that two year period is your first sitting, regardless of any retakes during those two years.

Some people then do a third year of A-levels, either with a different subject or just to do more retakes - this would count as a second sitting.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.