Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anybody studying Classics who hasn't done it before? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My school had never offered it and I think I'm the first person going to university to do Classics from my area in about 20 years so there's nobody I can really talk to about it.. I'm really excited to study it and I'm reading all the source material I can so I don't feel too dopey when I start, but I'm still kind of concerned? What kind of people study Classics/is it incredibly heavy in the beginning as you get accustomed to it? Is Latin better than Greek (I kind of pre-consider it to be but I WOULDN'T KNOW PROPERLY YET WOULD I).

And is anybody else starting from scratch?

(any replies to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated!)

(I hope I've posted this right I've never made a post on here before)

ReputationRep:
    You'll find a lot of people who've never studied it before so don't worry! It encompasses so many different areas, from art, history, literature, religion, culture!

I've studied A Level Classical Civilisation, but I've never studied Greek or Latin so that'll be new to me!

As long as you're interested and passionate then it'll all be absolutely fine
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I shall be starting from scratch in Sept as well. I'm surprisingly not nervous about it. It will a joint honours though. I'm more excited than nervous and I think you should too.

On of the tutors when I had an interview said I should read The Odyssey by Homer and that's about it to get me started. I can't wait! I've already loved the Classical world, so it shall be quite interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I never studied Classics before A Level (Foolishly passed up the opportunity to do so at GCSE) but now my ambition is to continue it on to degree level.

I don't think it's rare at all to be honest. A very large portion of my class never did Classics before this year either. Even my head of Sixth Form, who is a Classicist herself, only began her study at University.

ReputationRep:
    I've never studied the Classic world, but I am looking forward to it.

What Universities are everyone going to?

I'm going to Royal Holloway studying English & Classical Studies

ReputationRep:
    I've just graduated from my ancient history degree and am about to start my masters in the same subject and my school never offered classics either, but here I am translating some Livy as we speak. Don't worry - most people won't have done much, if any, too - classical civ, ancient history, and Latin and Greek are quite rare subjects in schools these days and the unis know and understand that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.