Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

19 and applied for provisional licence (advice on lessons and stuff anyone?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm a bit late compared to some people,and did not apply 2 years ago because I had 5part time jobs as well as my studies.Now Iv got a bit of £££

Now I am free and have just applied for my licence and I need peoples advice on driving lessons and theory and what was yours like if you have any tips.

I dont know how the theory works,or how the driving test works.Points wise.
    And is it ok to practise with driving with my dad in empty car parks or is that not allowed.
    Because I am free Im thinking of having 3-4 lessons a week and Im shopping around for good deals.
    I start University on the 6th September is it possible for me to have a number of lessons ,pass my theory and pass my practical before this time

A friend of mine suggested that I should concentrate on theory and pass it then start taking lessons for my practical.Is that more effective.So I concentrate on both of them in isolation

ReputationRep:
    If your dad has had his licence for more than three years, then yes, as long as you are on the insurance policy, you are allowed to drive his car anywhere except for the motorway, as long as you have your 'L' plates.

You can concentrate on both the theory and practical in isolation, but you have to be aware that you have to pass your practical test two years after you have passed your theory, otherwise you would have to retake your theory. Usually, people would have a year or so driving before they are able to pass their practical, so I would try and do as much driving as possible (as well as keeping up with studies.

The theory test has two sections: the multiple choice and Hazard Perception. You must pass both of these in order to pass the theory. The pass mark for the multiple choice is 43 out of 50, and for Hazard Perception, it's 44 out of 75.

The practical test takes you through basic driving, one manoueuvre and following road signs. You may also get uphill or downhill starts, as well as a possible emergency stop. You also have to answer a 'show me' and a 'tell me' question before you start driving in the test. You are not allowed any major faults, and are allowed up to 15 minor faults.

Personally, my driving lessons were great. I failed both tests first time, but managed to pass both the second time. I really enjoyed driving.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.