Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I just thought I'd create a thread for all of us that will be applying this year for 2015 entry. I'm an international, mature (I'm not that old) student. I'm going to be applying to study Ancient History. I flip flop a bit on my favourite universities, but I'm really keen on Newcastle. Who else is out there?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current Newcastle mathematics student (just finished 1st year, doing 2nd year in September) so feel free to ask me any questions. I've lived in the Newcastle area all of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    I'm a current Newcastle mathematics student (just finished 1st year, doing 2nd year in September) so feel free to ask me any questions. I've lived in the Newcastle area all of my life.
    Hey. Thanks! I've heard the area is really reasonably priced. Is that true? I'll be living off campus. And this is going to sound weird, but is Newcastle dog friendly? I'm eventually be bringing my dog over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Hey. Thanks! I've heard the area is really reasonably priced. Is that true? I'll be living off campus. And this is going to sound weird, but is Newcastle dog friendly? I'm eventually be bringing my dog over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it is reasonably priced (especially alcohol). I don't think you can bring your dog on campus, but yeah the Newcastle area is dog friendly. I wouldn't bring your dog to the city centre though because it can be quite busy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is reasonably priced (especially alcohol). I don't think you can bring your dog on campus, but yeah the Newcastle area is dog friendly. I wouldn't bring your dog to the city centre though because it can be quite busy.
    Thank you! I wasn't planning on staying on campus, so that's fine. Public transportation is good, right? It's going to be strange not having a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Thank you! I wasn't planning on staying on campus, so that's fine. Public transportation is good, right? It's going to be strange not having a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, we have busses and underground trains (metros). The campus is all in one place though, so once you get the bus/metro into the city centre, you can just walk to whatever building you need to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we have busses and underground trains (metros). The campus is all in one place though, so once you get the bus/metro into the city centre, you can just walk to whatever building you need to go to.
    It sounds amazing! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm also an international postgrad student coming for ICE in September though this year. Would you know what a typical ICE timetable looks like? Like are the classes 8 to 5 daily? What do guys do over weekend?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild orchid)
    Hey guys. I'm also an international postgrad student coming for ICE in September though this year. Would you know what a typical ICE timetable looks like? Like are the classes 8 to 5 daily? What do guys do over weekend?
    If you tell me the course code, I'll see if I can have a look for a timetable for you. The timetable only shows taught sessions though, so if you had to do research it wouldn't come up (I think).

ReputationRep:
    If you tell me the course code, I'll see if I can have a look for a timetable for you. The timetable only shows taught sessions though, so if you had to do research it wouldn't come up (I think).
    The course code I think is 5117F. It's a taught masters so most time will be spent in class.. so that's alright :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild orchid)
    The course code I think is 5117F. It's a taught masters so most time will be spent in class.. so that's alright :-)
    Semester 1 Lectures:
    Monday: 10:30 - 16:00 with a break 12:00-14:30
    Tuesday: 11:30 - 13:30
    Wednesday: 9:30-11:00
    Thursday: 11:30-13:00
    Friday: 9:30-14:00 with a break 11:30-12:30

There are seminars as well, with some finishing at 18:00 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday for one module, and for another module they are on Thursday around when you would have your normal lecture.

Semester 2 has more 9-5s, but it seems as if Thursday was a day off.

I believe in semester 3 you do a dissertation, so this won't appear on the timetable.

Of course this is just what students did this year, so it could be totally for you!

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh! Thanks so much for this!! Had thought it would be 8-5 on a daily. With this I'll still be able to explore the town as I study :-)

ReputationRep:
    2015 potential applicant here
    Hoping to do MComp Computer Science with the security and resilience route!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested, the next visit day is on the 27th of September. Anyone can come along without booking in advance (but if you wish to attend certain talks like medicine I think you do have to book). You can find out more information on: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/visitday/

There are also lots of students going to be working on that day (I worked on one in June!) so you will have plenty of opportunities to talk to students and get all of your questions answered.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.