Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello lovely people of the TSR! I have lurked before but as the whole forum wasn't really relevant to me, I only just signed up. Having shunned my offered places at Nottingham, Sheffield and Cardiff after A-Levels, I am now seriously thinking about starting an English Literature BA course with the Open University in February.

I will be starting work as an LSA in September so will have a job to work around, although its hours are less than what I am currently used to. Not to toot my own horn as it were, but simply to give you an idea of what I can 'handle', I have always been a quick and adaptive learner who completes projects (both in education and the workforce) pretty speedily.

So really I just wanted to get an idea from current OU students about the sort of workload I could anticipate. At the moment I am thinking of trying to achieve 90 credits a year as I don't like the idea of taking six years to complete my BA. As I am working in a school, I have the benefit of school holidays to work on my degree in.

Does this sound reasonable? Do you think the hours the OU say each block of credits take to complete are reflective of your experience? What can I expect from the workload?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's tried to juggle work and the OU (90 credits no less) I can honestly say I found it a struggle. HOWEVER, this depends so strongly on what kind of learner you are and what modules you're doing I really don't think my advice counts for very much. Sorry, that's shockingly unhelpful, but that's the truth. My job was 20 hours a week, but then again it was from 9-12, so after a morning's hard work I just flopped all afternoon (it was intense). At the end of the day, you can only try the OU to see if it works for you. It didn't in my case, but without the OU I would never have got into my current uni, so my advice would be have a go and if you don;t like it after a year, go to a bricks and mortar uni or work. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scareyquinette)
    Hello lovely people of the TSR! I have lurked before but as the whole forum wasn't really relevant to me, I only just signed up. Having shunned my offered places at Nottingham, Sheffield and Cardiff after A-Levels, I am now seriously thinking about starting an English Literature BA course with the Open University in February.

I will be starting work as an LSA in September so will have a job to work around, although its hours are less than what I am currently used to. Not to toot my own horn as it were, but simply to give you an idea of what I can 'handle', I have always been a quick and adaptive learner who completes projects (both in education and the workforce) pretty speedily.

So really I just wanted to get an idea from current OU students about the sort of workload I could anticipate. At the moment I am thinking of trying to achieve 90 credits a year as I don't like the idea of taking six years to complete my BA. As I am working in a school, I have the benefit of school holidays to work on my degree in.

Does this sound reasonable? Do you think the hours the OU say each block of credits take to complete are reflective of your experience? What can I expect from the workload?

Thanks in advance!
    I work full time and have been studying 120 credits per year, I am also studying science which is very difficult.. I manage fine but I am very organised... 90 credits I think is manageable, the only thing about school holidays things is that most your modules be oct starts which means your summer hols in work be hols at uni too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked closely at what modules you'd be doing? Off the top of my head I'd suspect that most of the English literature modules come in 60-credit chunks, which would obviously make doing 90 a year tricky - it could be a choice between 60 and 120 (in which case, my advice would be to start out doing 60 and see how you find it -better to have a comfortable start and then pick up the pace than take on to much and be put of the whole thing.) I think February starts are also proving tricky if you want to go faster later, incidentally, although I forget why.

And I was going to make the point about holidays, too - I'm not sure how much you'd be able to do in the main summer holiday as few modules run then. (There are relatively few February start modules, and they're becoming rarer.) It's irritating as the summer would be a really good time for me to get some study done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    Have you looked closely at what modules you'd be doing? Off the top of my head I'd suspect that most of the English literature modules come in 60-credit chunks, which would obviously make doing 90 a year tricky - it could be a choice between 60 and 120 (in which case, my advice would be to start out doing 60 and see how you find it -better to have a comfortable start and then pick up the pace than take on to much and be put of the whole thing.) I think February starts are also proving tricky if you want to go faster later, incidentally, although I forget why.

And I was going to make the point about holidays, too - I'm not sure how much you'd be able to do in the main summer holiday as few modules run then. (There are relatively few February start modules, and they're becoming rarer.) It's irritating as the summer would be a really good time for me to get some study done!
    The only thing is to buy second hand books for the module to get ahead on the reading over the summer but as it's moving to online modules that could be a problem these days too........

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I am study full time (120 credits) and working full time (37-50h/week), I often travel and I am lazy
    I am about to start my third year. I am not a well organied, I leave thinks until the very last moment and I had not troubles so far. During last two years I had to do among others: assist in life chat with my group, write an exam, atend a residential school, send two EMAs in one day, present audiovisual presentation etc... Everything is possible. I

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.