Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety Troubles - they're affecting my grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone

I have decided to post this in hope that there are some other people that are out there that suffer from anxiety. I personally deal with social anxiety, but if you deal with another "type" obviously your opinion is still welcome!!

I won't go into too much detail now, but I think the social anxiety that I have had to deal with this year while at college has not made me reach my full potential with my grades, and it's upsetting. I say that I think because my mind is still a little hazy with the thought of it... I guess it's a little difficult to get my head around.

The basis of it is that I found going to college very tiring because of the social pressures it applied onto me... I was and I am always tired by the time it gets to break time and it means that when I get home I find it hard to revise, research, read and do homework. I couldn't concentrate in class because the majority of the time I was just so tired.

I have completed my AS Level exams in June, but I aspire to be a Vet and this requires really good grades. I am so worried I have wrecked my chances at the one career I have always had my heart set on. I also need to clear my head before I return back to college in September...

Does anyone else deal with the same thing, or have any advice?

Thank you )

ReputationRep:
    OK first up: the horrible thing about college is that its all 'you will get AAA in your A levels or you'll be doomed forever!!'. This is, to put it nicely, a load of bull poop. So as far as academic things are related, try not to worry about that too much, life isn't going to end if you don't get your grades, that's just how the college wants you to feel. I got BCC in my A levels and got into a ABB course via the OU. So try not to worry about the academic side. Social wise, I completely understand where you're coming from, I suffer from major social anxiety (hence when I'm answering this thread I guess.) The thing about college is, you're not there for very long and you will probably move on from all but your best friends there, so if people are making you this tired it's best not to bother with them. Remember, if you're struggling to maintain friends or get in with the 'in crowd' then that's probably not going to make you happy. Sorry if that was a ramble. Good luck! :five:

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I have/have had problems with anxiety/depression/OCD for many years, which definitely affected my schoolwork as (like you describe) my head was foggy and I was tired and stressed all of the time. However, because I didn't really understand what was happening at the time it all just built up and I ended up dropping out of my A2s twice.

I'd try not to worry about your grades and the future until a problem does arise - worrying about it won't change anything except make you more stressed. Also know that whatever does happen - even the worst thing you can think of - the world won't end. Life will go on, you'll be okay and there are many options with education to get you where you want to be.

Maybe you should get some help with your social anxiety? Obviously talking on forums here can help, but you might find getting some therapy can help? If you just go to your GP and explain what's happening they can refer you to a mental health team who can help you with the anxiety so hopefully it won't affect your life so much.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The 4th Doctor)
    OK first up: the horrible thing about college is that its all 'you will get AAA in your A levels or you'll be doomed forever!!'. This is, to put it nicely, a load of bull poop. So as far as academic things are related, try not to worry about that too much, life isn't going to end if you don't get your grades, that's just how the college wants you to feel. I got BCC in my A levels and got into a ABB course via the OU. So try not to worry about the academic side. Social wise, I completely understand where you're coming from, I suffer from major social anxiety (hence when I'm answering this thread I guess.) The thing about college is, you're not there for very long and you will probably move on from all but your best friends there, so if people are making you this tired it's best not to bother with them. Remember, if you're struggling to maintain friends or get in with the 'in crowd' then that's probably not going to make you happy. Sorry if that was a ramble. Good luck! :five:
    Hello, thank you for your reply! I am not a very big people person and I have never really been someone to want to be in with the popular crowd - frankly, they were always too loud for me. I find it difficult to be friends with girls, just because they are a fair amount of effort for me that guys don't require. Although, I completely understand that all girls are not like that, and I know that I only really am with my boyfriend of over 2 years and his friends during the school time, and this is how I am most comfortable & he understands that which is great.

I think the reason why I am so worried and apprehensive about my performance, and thus my grades this year is that I have always wanted to become an Equine Vet... and I have been told I have this "unlocked potential" that if I was able to "unleash this potential" then I would be able to achieve the grades easily, making it a little easier for me to get access into competitive vet school. I guess it's difficult to manage in two ways: 1) I don't know how to overcome/manage this anxiety and other conflicting issues so that I can unlock this potential and be able to use it consistently without returning back to square one. And 2) the fact that a dream that I have had for as long as I can remember is slowly being pulled from underneath my feet.

It's nice for someone to tell you that grades aren't everything and mean it - thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH26)
    Hey

I have/have had problems with anxiety/depression/OCD for many years, which definitely affected my schoolwork as (like you describe) my head was foggy and I was tired and stressed all of the time. However, because I didn't really understand what was happening at the time it all just built up and I ended up dropping out of my A2s twice.

I'd try not to worry about your grades and the future until a problem does arise - worrying about it won't change anything except make you more stressed. Also know that whatever does happen - even the worst thing you can think of - the world won't end. Life will go on, you'll be okay and there are many options with education to get you where you want to be.

Maybe you should get some help with your social anxiety? Obviously talking on forums here can help, but you might find getting some therapy can help? If you just go to your GP and explain what's happening they can refer you to a mental health team who can help you with the anxiety so hopefully it won't affect your life so much.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk more
    Hello

It's nice to hear that someone has dealt with the same things that I have, because it's always hard to imagine if someone else can really be experiencing something so disturbing and I guess, out of the ordinary... I suppose.

I had a lovely lady that my Mum (both my parents also had anxiety) organised for me to talk to once a week, but we ended up not being able to afford her and so we stopped. From then on it has felt like I have been dropped into a maze - confused, lost and unsure of where to go next or how to decided where to go.

I don't think there is enough coverage on other options aside from University. I am really only very close friends with my boyfriend, and he is completely incredible at understanding situations that I am in and helping me through tough times. When we both go to different Universities, I am unsure of how I am going to cope, which scares me a lot - my anxiety isn't exclusively social, as I get overwhelmed at uncertainty, for example (just being brief here!).

You mentioned you dropped out of your A2's twice, what did you continue on to do, if anything? It's okay if you don't feel like posting it, it would be lovely to talk to you over a private message

Thank you for your response

ReputationRep:
    I suffered really bad anxiety especially though out GCSEs and A-levels and still experiencing it now.. Everytime I went into a certain classo room, went somewhere crowded or just generally felt uncomfortable, I would have a really bad panic attack the point where I had to run out of class quite often. I've found that with my anxiety, the best thing I can do it control it (to an extent). It takes a really long time to find ways to calm yourself down and try and take your mind away from actually panicking to calm yourself down. I personally looked for a certain spot in my classrooms which I named "my calming spots" which I would look at and concentrate when breathing and calming down because I'd always associate that spot with calming down. With social anxiety, I know it's a little bit different but perhaps it would be a good idea to try and strike up a conversations with a stranger each day no matter how long the conversation actually is. If you start panicking because of a large crowd, try and get away from the crowded area to a quiet spot. Calm yourself down and go back in because unless you conquer that fear, your brain will always associate that area as a "danger zone" and you might never get rid of the anxiety. As a vet of any form, you will have to talk to new people, even If it's talking to an owner so I think you need to slowly train your brain to stop associating social interactions with a dangerous situation which will stop the chemical that induces fear to occur. I'll be honest, it takes time and a lot of mental strength but when you get to the point where you're able to talk to people and have gotten rid of the social anxiety to an extent, you'll gain a great amount of relief and self achievement.

I'm not sure if I've understood the concept of your social anxiety, but I hope I've helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulcalli)
    Hello, thank you for your reply! I am not a very big people person and I have never really been someone to want to be in with the popular crowd - frankly, they were always too loud for me. I find it difficult to be friends with girls, just because they are a fair amount of effort for me that guys don't require. Although, I completely understand that all girls are not like that, and I know that I only really am with my boyfriend of over 2 years and his friends during the school time, and this is how I am most comfortable & he understands that which is great. I think the reason why I am so worried and apprehensive about my performance, and thus my grades this year is that I have always wanted to become an Equine Vet... and I have been told I have this "unlocked potential" that if I was able to "unleash this potential" then I would be able to achieve the grades easily, making it a little easier for me to get access into competitive vet school. I guess it's difficult to manage in two ways: 1) I don't know how to overcome/manage this anxiety and other conflicting issues so that I can unlock this potential and be able to use it consistently without returning back to square one. And 2) the fact that a dream that I have had for as long as I can remember is slowly being pulled from underneath my feet. It's nice for someone to tell you that grades aren't everything and mean it - thank you
    Yeah, they are more effort aren't they? But worth it sometimes. Especially nice to hear that from a girl though! One thing I will say is that the academic journey to get to a particular career often strangely mirrors that of a job. Ever wandered why bankers are often from Oxbridge (aside from the whole money thing)? It's often because banks are big, stressful environments, so they like grads from other, big, stressful environments (like Oxford and Cambridge). The point being, that if the journey to being an equine vet is really tough, and if you don't enjoy that journey, that may lead you to a career you never thought of. For example, I wanted to be an author of books when I was little until I was about 15, but I hated being stuck indoors and not 'living life'. Strangely, that was kind of the occupation of an author to some extent, so I went right off that idea. I floundered for about a year, but then realised, I loved fighting environmental issues, so now I'm studying environmental science. Point being, that it may look like your future dream is the only one you have, but you'll probably surprise yourself by having more dreams than you realise. As for social anxiety, I suffer from it a lot too so obviously don't have the best advice, but as it's a fear like any other, the only way to get rid of that fear is to face it. Try and mix with as many people as possible, in as many new situations as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimmy2014)
    I suffered really bad anxiety especially though out GCSEs and A-levels and still experiencing it now.. Everytime I went into a certain classo room, went somewhere crowded or just generally felt uncomfortable, I would have a really bad panic attack the point where I had to run out of class quite often. I've found that with my anxiety, the best thing I can do it control it (to an extent). It takes a really long time to find ways to calm yourself down and try and take your mind away from actually panicking to calm yourself down. I personally looked for a certain spot in my classrooms which I named "my calming spots" which I would look at and concentrate when breathing and calming down because I'd always associate that spot with calming down. With social anxiety, I know it's a little bit different but perhaps it would be a good idea to try and strike up a conversations with a stranger each day no matter how long the conversation actually is. If you start panicking because of a large crowd, try and get away from the crowded area to a quiet spot. Calm yourself down and go back in because unless you conquer that fear, your brain will always associate that area as a "danger zone" and you might never get rid of the anxiety. As a vet of any form, you will have to talk to new people, even If it's talking to an owner so I think you need to slowly train your brain to stop associating social interactions with a dangerous situation which will stop the chemical that induces fear to occur. I'll be honest, it takes time and a lot of mental strength but when you get to the point where you're able to talk to people and have gotten rid of the social anxiety to an extent, you'll gain a great amount of relief and self achievement.

I'm not sure if I've understood the concept of your social anxiety, but I hope I've helped

Thank you for your advice! I will try some of the things you said

It's funny, I worked at a stables for two years every Saturday. And I was more than happy to talk to horse owners, instructors, students and many other people. I won't go into the logistics, but I think my social anxiety depends on the location I am in and therefore what "social ranking" I am applied to, or feel that I am a part of. I think the more I talk about it, the more realisations and understanding statements I will be able to produce, which is what I am going to try and do this summer. I suppose, when you know exactly what you need to control it makes it a lot easier haha!

I hope you are doing well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The 4th Doctor)
    Yeah, they are more effort aren't they? But worth it sometimes. Especially nice to hear that from a girl though! One thing I will say is that the academic journey to get to a particular career often strangely mirrors that of a job. Ever wandered why bankers are often from Oxbridge (aside from the whole money thing)? It's often because banks are big, stressful environments, so they like grads from other, big, stressful environments (like Oxford and Cambridge). The point being, that if the journey to being an equine vet is really tough, and if you don't enjoy that journey, that may lead you to a career you never thought of. For example, I wanted to be an author of books when I was little until I was about 15, but I hated being stuck indoors and not 'living life'. Strangely, that was kind of the occupation of an author to some extent, so I went right off that idea. I floundered for about a year, but then realised, I loved fighting environmental issues, so now I'm studying environmental science. Point being, that it may look like your future dream is the only one you have, but you'll probably surprise yourself by having more dreams than you realise. As for social anxiety, I suffer from it a lot too so obviously don't have the best advice, but as it's a fear like any other, the only way to get rid of that fear is to face it. Try and mix with as many people as possible, in as many new situations as possible.

I must say, you write very explicitly I see what you mean about the job reflecting the journey, which is why I have had moments of thinking whether the rewards of the job would outweigh the hardship. I suppose if it was the right profession for me, I wouldn't have to think twice about that... I suppose it could be a safety retreat for me?

Even though I am looking to become an Equine Vet or even a Vet Nurse, my ultimate dream was to always either work with animals or write books. Maybe it's because I love to do my own thing, or maybe it's because I'm a hermit and don't mind the ratio of being outside to inside a below par... but being an author would be insane to say the least haha! I have written a few short stories, and the few people that have seen them say that I copied and pasted from the internet... but I don't know much about the profession. I think maybe it's time to look into it a little more

How are you finding your Environmental Sciences course? It sounds really interesting, what do you want to become post graduation?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.